//

Trump’s War Ultimatum Ends in Sudden Ceasefire Deal with Iran

A last-minute agreement brokered with Pakistan halts escalating conflict as global markets reel and tensions remain high despite ongoing strikes

1 min read
President Trump

U.S. President Donald Trump announced on Tuesday that he had agreed to a two-week ceasefire with Iran, marking a dramatic reversal just hours after issuing a stark ultimatum to Tehran. The deal came less than two hours before a deadline set by Trump for Iran to reopen the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz or face extensive attacks on its civilian infrastructure.

Iranian state media quickly framed the development as a victory, claiming that Trump had accepted Tehran’s terms and describing the move as a “humiliating retreat” by the U.S. president. Iranian officials also announced that formal talks between Washington and Tehran are scheduled to begin on Friday in Islamabad, with Pakistan acting as mediator in the negotiations.

The announcement represented a sharp turnaround from earlier in the day when Trump warned that “a whole civilization will die tonight” if Iran failed to comply with his demands. Posting on his Truth Social platform, Trump described the ceasefire as “double sided” and said it followed the achievement of U.S. military objectives and significant progress toward a broader peace agreement in the Middle East.

According to White House officials, Israel has also agreed to the temporary ceasefire and will suspend its ongoing bombing campaign against Iran. However, minutes after Trump’s announcement, Israeli authorities reported detecting missiles launched from Iran toward Israeli territory, underscoring the fragility of the truce.

Trump said Iran had presented a 10-point proposal that could serve as a “workable basis” for negotiations and expressed confidence that a long-term agreement could be finalized during the two-week pause. The sudden diplomatic shift followed a day of intense military escalation, with U.S. and Israeli forces striking key infrastructure targets in Iran, including bridges, an airport, and a petrochemical facility. U.S. attacks also targeted Kharg Island, a critical hub for Iran’s oil exports.

Iran responded by threatening retaliation against infrastructure in Persian Gulf states and claimed responsibility for attacks on a vessel in the gulf and a major Saudi petrochemical complex. Explosions were reported in Doha late Tuesday, according to eyewitness accounts.

The conflict, now in its sixth week, has resulted in more than 5,000 deaths across nearly a dozen countries, including over 1,600 civilians in Iran, based on estimates from official and independent sources. The closure of the Strait of Hormuz, through which roughly one-fifth of global oil supplies pass, has sent energy prices soaring and raised fears of a global economic slowdown or recession.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog