/

Colombia’s President-Elect Freezes Power Transition Talks With Petro Government

Abelardo de la Espriella suspends the formal handover process with the outgoing administration, deepening tensions over election legitimacy, corruption allegations and the transfer of state power.

3 mins read
Abelardo de la Espriella

Colombia’s president-elect Abelardo de la Espriella has unexpectedly suspended the transition process with outgoing President Gustavo Petro’s government, breaking off talks between the two administrations just one month before the scheduled transfer of power on August 7.

The decision marks a sharp escalation in the dispute between the incoming and outgoing governments, which have already been divided by accusations over the legitimacy of the presidential election and competing claims about the country’s political future.

De la Espriella announced the suspension early Tuesday through his social media accounts, saying he had instructed Vice President-elect José Manuel Restrepo to immediately halt the handover process with what he described as a government that had “with its decisions and conduct” sought to harm Colombia.

“My duty is to protect the interests of the nation and guarantee a serious, transparent transition in the service of Colombians, never to legitimize disaster or the disregard of constitutional order,” De la Espriella wrote.

The transition process, known in Colombia as the “empalme,” involves meetings between officials from the incoming and outgoing administrations to transfer information, review government programmes and ensure continuity in state operations. The process had begun the previous week, led by Restrepo for the incoming government and Finance Minister Germán Ávila for Petro’s administration.

Although neither Petro nor De la Espriella had personally participated in the meetings, the discussions between their teams had continued despite political tensions. The suspension now places the future of those talks in uncertainty.

The announcement came after Petro again questioned the outcome of the presidential election held on June 21. The outgoing president repeated claims that his candidate, Iván Cepeda, had been the victim of electoral fraud and that De la Espriella’s victory was illegitimate.

“The president of Colombia does not recognize the legitimacy of the incoming government. Abelardo did not win the elections,” Petro wrote on social media shortly before another transition meeting was scheduled to take place.

The dispute has also spread beyond the two leaders. Cepeda, a senator from Petro’s Historic Pact coalition, has announced plans for what he described as “civil disobedience” against the incoming administration.

Restrepo, who has been overseeing the transition process for the president-elect, suggested that Petro’s refusal to recognize the election result was a key reason behind the suspension.

“Almost 13 million Colombians chose a new direction for the country. No one has the right to ignore that popular mandate or question the legitimacy of President-elect Abelardo de la Espriella,” Restrepo said in a statement posted online.

The incoming administration has argued that the transition should not simply involve the exchange of government information but should also serve as a review of the condition in which Petro’s government leaves the country. De la Espriella’s team has described the process as an opportunity to investigate alleged corruption cases linked to the outgoing administration.

During the presidential campaign, De la Espriella had said he was willing to seek the extradition of President Petro. One of his senior advisers, Carlos Alonso Lucio, has also repeatedly stated in recent interviews that the outgoing president should face legal proceedings.

The Petro administration responded to the suspension shortly afterwards. Finance Minister Germán Ávila instructed government officials to suspend sector-by-sector transition meetings, while leaving open the possibility of discussions with Restrepo to determine the next steps.

In a statement delivered through public media and online platforms, Ávila referred to a letter sent the previous day to the country’s attorney general, inviting the institution to oversee the transition between the outgoing and incoming governments. The move reflected the government’s position that the handover should continue through an institutional and technical process.

Ávila rejected the description of the incoming team’s transition committee as an “anti-corruption” body, arguing that the handover should remain an administrative process rather than a political investigation. He also criticised statements from a member of the incoming committee, saying they damaged the respect and dignity required for the process and were likely intended to disrupt it.

He later identified that person as Lucio, a former member of the M-19 guerrilla movement who, decades ago, surrendered his weapons alongside figures including Petro and Ávila before later moving into a different political camp.

Ávila also highlighted the narrow margin separating the two candidates in the election. De la Espriella defeated Cepeda in the runoff with a small difference in votes, although Petro has continued to reject the result.

“We represent 12.708 million citizens and you represent 12.900 million citizens; never forget that difference,” Ávila said, referring to the competing voter bases behind the two political forces.

The finance minister also argued that while the left represents what he called “poor Colombia,” De la Espriella represents “the industrial and financial minority.” He concluded that government information from the transition process would no longer be delivered directly to the incoming administration’s committee but would instead be made available to citizens.

As Colombia approaches the transfer of presidential power, the breakdown in transition talks has introduced a new uncertainty into the country’s political landscape. The incoming administration maintains that the process must expose the condition of the state it is inheriting, while the outgoing government insists that the transfer of power must follow institutional procedures despite the continuing political dispute.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog