INTRODUCTION
Some of the latest arrest warrants were issued for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, as well as Hamas leaders, over alleged war crimes in the Middle Eastern conflict. Other world leaders have also faced ICC warrants. This makes Netanyahu the fourth world leader for whom the ICC has issued an arrest warrant.
These are the other wanted world leaders:
Vladimir Putin. The ICC issued an arrest warrant against Russian President Vladimir Putin in March 2023, accusing him of the war crime of illegally deporting hundreds of children from Ukraine. The Kremlin denies these accusations. However, the Kremlin called the move meaningless and has repeatedly denied allegations that its forces have committed atrocities during the invasion of its neighbor, according to Reuters.
Sudan’s former president Omar al-Bashir. The ICC issued an arrest warrant for Sudan’s former president Omar al-Bashir in 2009, accusing him of crimes against humanity and war crimes in Sudan’s Darfur region, where an estimated 300,000 people were killed and more than two million displaced. Bashir and some of his allies were jailed in Sudan after a popular uprising in 2019, but they were never sent to The Hague. According to the army, Bashir was moved from prison to a military hospital in April last year, Reuters reported.
Former Libyan president and his son. The ICC issued an arrest warrant for former Libyan President Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, along with his son. Muammar, however, was captured and killed in October that year. Days after his father was killed, Saif al-Islam Gaddafi was caught by fighters from Zintan, where he remained in captivity until he was released under an amnesty law in 2017.
The ICC’s current prosecutor defended Gaddafi. In an unusual turn of events, the current ICC prosecutor Karim Khan was Gaddafi’s defense lawyer at the ICC for over a year until he withdrew in 2018. Khan became the ICC’s lead prosecutor in 2021.
The ICC’s longest-standing fugitive. Another well-known figure on the ICC’s ‘most wanted’ list, although not a world leader, is Ugandan warlord Joseph Kony. He’s the court’s longest-standing fugitive, with an arrest warrant for 36 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity issued in 2005.
NEW NATO BOSS’S PRESS CONFERENCE
NATO boss Mark Rutte recently warned of difficult times ahead for the West in the next four to five years. “We are not at war, but we certainly don’t have peace either,” Rutte said.
It was the former Dutch prime minister’s first major speech as NATO secretary-general. “The danger is coming at us at full speed. We must not look away,” Rutte said. “Our security is not in good shape. It is the worst situation of my life, I suspect also of yours. We should be very worried—I am, at least.”
Meanwhile, NATO considers raising defense spending as Trump threatens to pull out. NATO members are urgently discussing raising their defense spending to 3 percent of GDP as Donald Trump threatens to pull out of the alliance upon his return to the White House.
The head of the defense alliance warned today that it will not be prepared for the threats it is set to face from Russia in the coming years unless it shifts to a wartime mindset now.
NATO CHIEF PLEADS FOR EUROPE TO BOOST DEFENSE SPENDING AHEAD OF DONALD TRUMP’S RETURN TO THE WHITE HOUSE
NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte called on European allies on Wednesday to intensify defense spending, citing the need to meet growing security challenges as President-elect Donald Trump prepares to return to the White House.
A decade ago, NATO leaders agreed to halt post-Cold War defense cuts and commit 2 percent of GDP to military budgets following Russia’s annexation of Crimea. However, NATO has initiated the most significant overhaul of its defense strategy since the Cold War.
Under new classified plans, the alliance intends to deploy up to 300,000 troops to its eastern flank within 30 days if needed. This rapid-response strategy aims to deter Russian aggression across regions spanning the Arctic to the Black Sea. NATO officials have warned that executing this security blueprint may require spending as much as 3 percent of GDP.
Rutte noted the possibility of new targets to address gaps in military equipment and underscored the urgency of addressing production inefficiencies in Europe’s defense industry. “We are producing not enough at too high prices, and the delivery is too slow,” Rutte said. He urged NATO allies to collaborate on boosting production rates and reducing costs, noting that some countries are turning to South Korean suppliers due to inefficiencies in European production.
VOICES FROM NATO ALLIES STRESS IMMEDIATE ACTION
U.K. Foreign Secretary David Lammy emphasized the urgency of ramping up defense spending, citing global instability. “We’re living in very dangerous times,” Lammy said, highlighting Russia’s role in conflicts beyond Ukraine, including in the Middle East and Africa.
U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken also reinforced the importance of NATO’s collective strength, stating, “This is a time for every ally to lean in, not lean back.” Blinken described a stronger NATO as essential for deterring aggression and maintaining global peace.
TRUMP CALLS FOR IMMEDIATE CEASEFIRE IN UKRAINE CONFLICT AND INDICATES A U.S. WITHDRAWAL FROM NATO IS POSSIBLE
Donald Trump pushed Russian leader Vladimir Putin to act to reach an immediate ceasefire with Ukraine, describing it as part of his active efforts as President-elect to end the war despite being weeks from taking office.
“Zelenskyy and Ukraine would like to make a deal and stop the madness,” Trump wrote on social media, referring to Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskyy.
In a television interview that aired Sunday, Trump also said he would be open to reducing military aid to Ukraine and pulling the U.S. out of NATO. These two threats have alarmed Ukraine, NATO allies, and many in the U.S. national security community.
Zelenskyy described his discussions with Trump, brought together by French President Emmanuel Macron, as “constructive” but has given no further details. Zelenskyy cautioned that Ukraine needs a “just and robust peace, that Russians will not destroy within a few years.”
“When we talk about an effective peace with Russia, we must talk first of all about effective peace guarantees. Ukrainians want peace more than anyone else. Russia brought war to our land,” he said Sunday in a post on the Telegram messaging app.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov responded to Trump’s post by repeating Moscow’s long-standing message that it is open to talks with Ukraine. Peskov referenced a decree by Zelenskyy from October 2022 that declared the prospect of any talks “impossible” as long as Putin was Russia’s leader.
POSSIBLE EFFECTS OF DONALD TRUMP’S AMERICA FIRST FOREIGN POLICY
Douglas Schoen, an expert on foreign affairs, holds the opinion that the return of President-elect Donald Trump’s “America First” foreign policy marks the start of a new era in the relationship between the U.S. and Europe, with significant implications for both sides of the trans-Atlantic alliance.
By constitutional design, the U.S. president has considerably more power to steer the nation’s foreign policy than its domestic policy, a quirk not lost on European leaders.
Trump’s disdain for NATO countries that do not meet the bloc’s spending requirement also figures to be a major point of contention. Belatedly, some European countries have realized that their days of outsourcing their defense to the U.S. are coming to an end and have ramped up spending. Twenty-two of the 31 non-U.S. NATO countries now meet or exceed the bloc’s target of spending 2 percent of GDP on the military—double the number meeting the target during Trump’s first term—but major countries like Italy and Spain remain far below that number.
CONCLUSION
An analysis in the Financial Times underscores how decades of reliance on the United States for protection have taken their toll on Europe’s ability to defend itself should Trump cut American involvement with NATO or withdraw entirely.
The United States alone has nearly 1,000 more fighter and ground attack aircraft than the rest of NATO combined, and NATO has no replacement for American transportation aircraft.
As an afterthought, one may wonder whether Donald Trump’s return to the White House has encouraged Western powers to build a plush residence for Zelensky in London, as he and Western allies fear that Zelensky should be given the opportunity to spend the rest of his retirement in comfort.

