A federal judge has temporarily halted a controversial effort by the Trump administration to bar Harvard University from enrolling international students, marking a significant early victory for the institution in an escalating legal and political showdown with the federal government.
U.S. District Judge Allison Burroughs issued a temporary restraining order on Friday, just hours after Harvard filed a lawsuit claiming the administration’s directive violated its constitutional and due process rights. The order prevents the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) from implementing its plan until a further hearing can take place.
Harvard had argued that the proposed student ban would cause “immediate and irreparable injury,” impacting approximately 7,000 international students currently enrolled. “This is the latest act by the government in clear retaliation for Harvard exercising its First Amendment rights,” the university stated in its complaint, referring to its resistance to federal interference in its academic operations, including governance, curriculum, and faculty ideologies.
The legal action follows a letter from DHS Secretary Kristi Noem on Thursday, which informed Harvard that incoming international students would be banned and current foreign students would need to transfer elsewhere. Noem justified the move by accusing the university of fostering a “hostile” environment for Jewish students in the wake of pro-Palestinian protests on campuses following the October 7, 2023 Hamas attacks on Israel and Israel’s subsequent military response in Gaza.
In addition, Noem alleged Harvard failed to meet federal demands to provide records of international students involved in “illegal, dangerous or violent” activity, including threats and disciplinary actions — claims Harvard has firmly denied. University president Alan Garber said the school had complied fully with lawful requests and condemned the administration’s move as politically motivated overreach.
“This is not just about Harvard,” Garber noted in a public statement. “This is about protecting the ability of all universities to determine who they teach and how they govern themselves, free from political coercion.”
DHS Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs Tricia McLaughlin countered that the lawsuit was an attempt to undermine presidential authority and defended the administration’s hardline immigration stance. “It is a privilege, not a right, for universities to enrol foreign students,” she said. “No lawsuit is going to stop us from restoring common sense to the student visa system.”
The case has drawn condemnation from higher education leaders, academic associations, and international networks representing foreign students, many of whom view the move as a threat to academic freedom and a dangerous politicization of higher education.
In an unexpected twist, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology issued a public invitation to Harvard’s displaced international students to continue their education there — signaling potential global implications and a battle for academic talent.
International students represent a major financial pillar for U.S. universities, generating substantial tuition revenues. The 1636 Forum, a Harvard alumni group, estimated that international students contribute more than $300 million annually in tuition alone, not including over $170 million in fees from Harvard Business School. These figures underscore the economic risks of the administration’s policy shift.
This lawsuit marks Harvard’s second legal challenge to the Trump administration in recent months. It previously filed suit over federal attempts to impose direct oversight on university operations — efforts that have also led to the freezing of more than $2.2 billion in federal funding earmarked for the school.
As the legal battle unfolds, the stakes remain high not just for Harvard but for the broader landscape of American higher education, which has long relied on international students as both cultural contributors and critical sources of financial stability.

