Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday delivered an emotional tribute to the victims of the recent Pahalgam terrorist attack, promising that those responsible would face “the harshest punishment” and reaffirming India’s commitment to fighting terrorism.
Speaking during his monthly radio address Mann Ki Baat, Modi expressed profound sorrow over the April 22 attack, which left 26 tourists dead at a popular picnic spot in Kashmir. The massacre, one of the worst in the region in decades, has shaken the entire nation.
“Today, as I talk my heart out with you, there is a deep agony in my heart,” Modi said. “Every Indian feels deep sympathy for the families of the victims. No matter which state one belongs to, no matter which language one speaks, I understand every citizen is seething with anger after seeing the images of the terrorist attack.”
The prime minister’s comments mark the second time in recent days that he has pledged justice for the victims. At a political rally in Bihar state earlier in the week, Modi — unusually speaking in English — vowed to “trace, identify, and punish every terrorist and their supporters to the end of the earth.”
Modi also emphasized that the attack comes at a sensitive time for Kashmir, which had been witnessing relative peace, economic revival, and a surge in tourism after decades of violence. He accused the perpetrators of trying to undo this progress.
“Terrorists and their masterminds want to destroy Kashmir once again. But they will not succeed,” he said. “The entire world stands with the 1.4 billion Indians in our fight against terrorism.”
India has officially linked Pakistan to the attack, accusing its neighbor of fostering “cross-border terrorism,” a longstanding accusation that New Delhi has raised in international forums. In response, India has taken unprecedented steps: suspending the critical Indus Waters Treaty, expelling Pakistani diplomats, closing the land border, and suspending visas for Pakistani citizens, effectively ordering them to leave within days.
Security analysts in India suggest that military options are also being considered, reflecting the seriousness with which New Delhi views the current crisis. Meanwhile, Islamabad has denied any involvement in the attack and issued tit-for-tat measures, including the expulsion of Indian diplomats. It also warned that India’s move to block rivers could be considered “an act of war,” raising the risk of further escalation between the two nuclear-armed neighbors.
The Indus Waters Treaty, signed in 1960, governs the distribution of one of the world’s largest river systems. It has survived multiple wars between India and Pakistan, and its suspension marks a dramatic deterioration in bilateral relations.
As India braces for the possibility of further confrontations, Modi reiterated his message: “Once again, I assure the victims’ families that they will get justice.”

