An oil tanker that was seized by Iranian forces in the Gulf last week has been released, and its crew is unharmed, according to a statement from the vessel’s manager, Columbia Shipmanagement. The Talara, which was detained on Friday, has resumed sailing away from Iranian waters, vessel-tracking data compiled by Bloomberg shows.
Columbia Shipmanagement said the crew is “safe and in good spirits,” adding that Iranian authorities made no allegations against the vessel, its operators or its owners. The crew had been taken to the Iranian coast after the ship was boarded by helicopter — a tactic that regional military forces said mirrored previous Iranian interceptions of merchant shipping.
Iranian state media initially reported that the Talara was held for unspecified “violations,” reigniting concerns that Tehran may be reviving a pattern of detaining commercial vessels transiting one of the world’s most critical maritime corridors. The seizure immediately prompted warnings from maritime security analysts, who said the incident underscored the persistent risks facing vessels navigating the Strait of Hormuz and surrounding waters.
By early Wednesday, satellite tracking indicated the tanker had departed Iranian territory, marking a swift resolution to an episode that briefly added fresh tension to already fragile regional shipping routes.

