More than 2 million documents related to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein remain under review, Justice Department officials told a federal judge on Monday, offering the most detailed estimate yet of the extensive file still awaiting public release. The disclosure comes as federal authorities work to comply with a new law mandating the full release of Epstein-related materials.
In a letter to U.S. District Judge Paul Engelmayer in New York, officials said the department has so far released 12,285 documents, totaling approximately 125,575 pages, but the overwhelming majority of the Epstein files remain withheld. The communication was signed by Attorney General Pamela Bondi, Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche, and Jay Clayton, the U.S. attorney in Manhattan.
The Justice Department said more than 400 lawyers and 100 specially trained document analysts are dedicating substantial portions of their workdays to preparing documents for release. Reviewers must determine which materials fall under the law’s mandate, redact information that could identify victims, and respond to requests from victims or family members for additional privacy protections. Officials noted that these complex procedures contribute to delays in making the documents publicly available.
The law, passed in November, requires that the entire collection of Epstein-related files be released by December 19. Justice Department officials indicated late last month that they hope to complete the process by January 20. Members of Congress behind the legislation have expressed frustration that key documents have yet to be made public.
Epstein, who was arrested on federal sex-trafficking charges in 2019, died in federal custody later that year in what was ruled a suicide. Over decades, he is alleged to have abused, trafficked, and molested scores of underage girls, many of whom have testified in court or shared their experiences publicly. Epstein’s connections to prominent political, business, and cultural figures—including former President Donald Trump—continue to attract scrutiny. Trump has acknowledged a social acquaintance with Epstein in Palm Beach, Florida, but has denied any involvement in Epstein’s criminal activities.
The newly released documents also confirm that law enforcement complaints about Epstein date back as far as 1996, though significant scrutiny did not occur until roughly a decade later. In 2008, Epstein avoided federal charges through a controversial plea deal in Florida, pleading guilty to two state charges of soliciting prostitution, including one involving a minor, and serving just over a year in jail with extensive work-release privileges.
The Justice Department’s latest letter provides a rare window into the monumental administrative task involved in releasing one of the most high-profile and sensitive document collections in recent U.S. history, highlighting both the scale of Epstein’s criminal activity and the enduring public interest in transparency and accountability.

