Pakistan launched a new wave of air strikes inside Afghanistan on Wednesday, ending weeks of relative calm along the countries’ volatile frontier and reigniting tensions between two neighbors whose relationship has been increasingly defined by security disputes and mutual accusations.
The strikes, described by Pakistani officials as targeted operations against militant positions, left sharply contrasting casualty claims from Islamabad and Kabul. Pakistan said 26 militants linked to the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) were killed, while Afghan authorities reported that at least 12 civilians, including children, lost their lives in attacks on provinces near the border.
The renewed violence marks the most serious escalation between the two countries in weeks and comes after months of confrontation that had already pushed relations to one of their lowest points since the Taliban returned to power in Afghanistan in 2021.
Pakistan’s government said the operation was launched in response to recent terrorist attacks inside the country. Information Minister Attaullah Tarar said in a statement on X that “precise and calibrated” strikes had targeted hideouts and safe havens along border areas used by militants linked to the TTP, a group that has waged a violent insurgency against the Pakistani state for years.
While Islamabad emphasized its focus on militant targets, Afghan authorities presented a very different picture of the aftermath.
In the southeastern province of Khost, residents awoke to scenes of destruction following the overnight attacks. An AFP journalist at the scene reported seeing a house completely destroyed as local residents dug graves for those killed. The images underscored the human toll of a conflict that increasingly spills across a border already strained by years of mistrust.
Afghanistan’s government spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, said the strikes hit the provinces of Khost, Kunar, and Paktika. According to Afghan authorities, 11 children, one woman, and one elderly man were among those killed.
In Khost’s Spera district, a provincial official said nine people died and 10 others were wounded, including children. The official, speaking on condition of anonymity, described an attack that devastated a residential area and left families grappling with the aftermath.
Further south in neighboring Paktika province, residents reported another strike in Barmal district. According to local accounts, the attack struck a home and killed three civilians. Residents said the victims were children.
Pakistan did not comment on reports of civilian casualties, maintaining that the operation targeted militant infrastructure linked to the TTP.
The latest strikes come after a period of relative calm along the border following a major escalation earlier this year. Beginning in late February, tensions between the two countries intensified dramatically, leading to fierce clashes along the frontier and a series of Pakistani air strikes deeper inside Afghan territory.
Those operations were notable not only for their intensity but also for their reach. Afghan cities, including the capital Kabul and the southern city of Kandahar, where the Taliban’s supreme leader is based, were among the locations targeted during that period of heightened conflict.
The consequences of that escalation were severe. A United Nations report published last month found that at least 372 Afghan civilians were killed and 397 others wounded during the first three months of the conflict. The figures highlighted the growing human cost of a dispute that has increasingly blurred the line between counterterrorism operations and civilian vulnerability.
At the center of the tensions is the issue of militancy. Pakistan has repeatedly accused Afghanistan’s Taliban government of allowing TTP fighters to operate from Afghan territory. Islamabad argues that militants use safe havens across the border to plan and launch attacks inside Pakistan before retreating beyond its reach.
The Taliban administration has consistently rejected those accusations. Afghan officials insist that Afghanistan is not being used as a base for attacks against neighboring countries and have accused Pakistan of failing to respect Afghan sovereignty. Kabul has also countered that Pakistan harbors groups hostile to Afghanistan, further deepening the diplomatic rift.
These competing claims have become a defining feature of relations between the two countries since the Taliban’s return to power. Despite geographical proximity, economic ties, and shared security concerns, efforts to establish stable cooperation have repeatedly been undermined by violence along the border and disagreements over responsibility for militant activity.
The fallout has extended beyond security issues. Since a flare-up in violence in October, the border between the two countries has remained largely closed, disrupting trade and affecting communities that depend on cross-border commerce. The restrictions have frozen much of the bilateral trade that traditionally flows through the frontier and added economic strain to regions already affected by instability.
Wednesday’s strikes demonstrate how fragile the current calm remains. Even after weeks without major confrontation, a single round of military action was enough to revive the accusations and grievances that have dominated relations between Islamabad and Kabul in recent years.
As Pakistan maintains that the operation targeted militants responsible for attacks on its territory and Afghanistan insists that civilians were among the dead, the latest violence has once again placed the border region at the center of a conflict that continues to shape the relationship between the two neighboring states. For communities living along the frontier, the destruction left behind serves as the latest reminder that the dispute remains far from resolved.

