/

Updated: Iranian Warship to Be Moved to Trinco After Crew Disembarks in Colombo

IRIS Booshehr will dock at Trincomalee, and crew members will be disembarked after Colombo Port, the country’s main commercial hub, is deemed unsafe.

2 mins read
President Anura Kumara Dissanayake addressing the media today evening in Colombo

by Our Correspondent in Colombo

Sri Lanka will disembark the crew of the Iranian naval vessel IRIS Booshehr in Colombo before moving the ship to Trincomalee, where it will remain anchored until a diplomatic solution is reached, President Anura Kumara Dissanayake announced while addressing the media a short while ago. The President said the Sri Lankan Navy, together with a small number of senior Iranian officers remaining on board, will sail the vessel to Trincomalee due to safety concerns about keeping the ship in Colombo, the country’s main commercial port.

The President emphasized that humanitarian considerations guided the government’s decisions throughout the unfolding crisis. He stated that Sri Lanka would not hesitate to take necessary actions when human lives are at risk, stressing that “humanity is our priority.” According to the President, the situation began on February 26 when the Republic of Iran formally notified Sri Lanka of the arrival of three Iranian warships on a goodwill mission, requesting port calls in Colombo on March 9 and March 13.

However, in February 2024, the IRINS Booshehr called at the Port of Colombo alongside IRINS Tonb (L513), a 94.94-meter-long Iranian Navy Hengam-class landing ship with a 250-member crew, as part of a visit intended to foster maritime cooperation. However, President Dissanayake refrained from commenting on the third ship or identifying it.

However, the situation changed the following day when Sri Lankan authorities were informed that an Iranian naval sailor had suffered a serious fall aboard one of the ships and required immediate medical assistance. Responding to the request, Sri Lanka deployed both naval and air force units to evacuate the injured sailor. Another crew member was also transported ashore for treatment during the operation.

IRIS Booshehr [File Photo]

The crisis escalated on March 4 at around 5.30 p.m., when Sri Lankan authorities received distress signals from a vessel approximately 19 nautical miles off the coast of Galle. The Sri Lanka Navy and Air Force launched an emergency rescue mission to the area. During the operation, rescue teams recovered 84 bodies and evacuated 32 injured sailors, who are currently receiving treatment. The tragedy is believed to be linked to the sinking of the Iranian naval vessel IRIS Dena, which had been operating in the region.

Meanwhile, the Iranian supply vessel IRIS Booshehr contacted Sri Lankan authorities again on March 4, requesting permission for an urgent port call between March 4 and 5. President Dissanayake said discussions had been ongoing since then between Sri Lankan authorities and Iranian officials regarding the safest course of action. He stressed that the circumstances were highly unusual and required careful handling.

According to official figures provided by the President, the IRIS Booshehr carries 208 personnel, including 53 officers, 84 cadets, 48 senior sailors and 23 sailors. All crew members will be disembarked in Colombo before the vessel is escorted away. The Sri Lankan Navy, along with several senior Iranian officers remaining on board, will then sail the ship to Trincomalee, where it will stay anchored while diplomatic discussions continue.

The President noted that Sri Lanka, as a neutral state, must handle such maritime incidents in accordance with international law, including the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea. He stressed that the country’s response was guided by international obligations, humanitarian concerns and national security considerations.

He also firmly rejected suggestions that Sri Lanka was acting under the influence of any foreign power, stating that the country makes its decisions independently. “We as a nation do not act in favour of, or under the control of, any other nation,” the President said, emphasizing that Sri Lanka’s priority is protecting its people, its ports and its sovereignty while responding responsibly to a humanitarian emergency at sea.

Read Our Previous Stories;

Breaking: Sri Lanka Set to Approve Controversial Iranian Warship Port Call

Exclusive: US Plans to Seize Stranded Iranian Ship Near Sri Lanka?

Updated: Government Confirms Second Iranian Vessel Near Sri Lanka

Exclusive: Sri Lanka Rescues Hundreds of Iranians but Denies Second Ship Port Access

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog