Ahead of the U.S. assault on Iran, President Donald Trump received multiple briefings emphasizing both the extreme risks and the potential strategic payoff of striking Tehran, a U.S. official told Reuters. The resulting military operation, dubbed “Operation Epic Fury” by the Pentagon, saw U.S. and Israeli forces hit sites across Iran on Saturday, prompting retaliatory attacks against Israel and neighboring Gulf states and plunging the region into a volatile new conflict.
Officials described the operation as a high-risk, high-reward scenario, with briefers cautioning that major U.S. casualties were possible despite the unprecedented buildup of forces. Trump, in a video address announcing the strikes, acknowledged the stakes, saying, “the lives of courageous American heroes may be lost,” but framed the mission as a long-term strategic necessity. “For 47 years, the Iranian regime has chanted death to America and waged an unending campaign of bloodshed and mass murder … We’re not gonna put up with it any longer,” he said.
The president’s decision followed intensive consultations with top national security officials, including CIA Director John Ratcliffe, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Dan Caine, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth. Central Command head Admiral Brad Cooper traveled to Washington to participate in Situation Room discussions. Briefings highlighted potential Iranian retaliation against U.S. bases in the region, attacks by Iranian proxies in Iraq and Syria, and the limitations of hastily deployed air defense systems.
Trump’s objectives were sweeping. He declared the campaign aimed to destroy Iran’s missile infrastructure, neutralize its navy, cripple terrorist proxies, and deny Tehran the capacity to develop nuclear weapons, while simultaneously encouraging Iranians to rise against their rulers. Experts, however, warned that Iran’s opposition is fragmented and the population may not be ready to act, complicating Washington’s hopes of a popular uprising.
The strikes targeted high-level officials, including Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and President Masoud Pezeshkian, though the immediate impact on Iran’s leadership remains unclear. Analysts caution that Tehran retains significant retaliatory options, from ballistic missiles and drones to cyber attacks, with some weapons likely to penetrate U.S. defenses. “Iran has many more ballistic missiles that can reach U.S. bases than the U.S. has interceptors … some Iranian weapons will get through,” said Daniel Shapiro, a former senior Pentagon official.
Compared with prior operations, including the Venezuela raid last month and the June bombing of Iran’s nuclear sites, Trump’s campaign reflects a markedly higher tolerance for risk. While U.S. and Israeli forces struck decisively, experts describe the unfolding conflict as a major gamble with no guaranteed outcome, highlighting the unpredictable and potentially destabilizing consequences for the Middle East.

