/

Trump Signals Willingness to Engage Hezbollah as Lebanon Pushes for Israeli Withdrawal

White House meeting with Lebanese President Joseph Aoun coincides with the first implementation of a US-backed Israel-Lebanon peace agreement amid continued fighting, political divisions and uncertainty in southern Lebanon.

3 mins read
IDF troops claim they recently captured a cache of Hezbollah weapons in southern Lebanon, including first-person view (FPV) drones. (IDF)

United States President Donald Trump said he would be willing to speak with Hezbollah if requested by Lebanese President Joseph Aoun, marking a notable statement as Washington seeks to advance a peace agreement aimed at ending the conflict between Israel and the Lebanese armed group.

The remarks came during Aoun’s visit to the White House on Tuesday, coinciding with the tenth day of the second phase of the war involving Iran. The visit was a significant diplomatic milestone, with Aoun becoming the first Lebanese head of state to visit the White House in 17 years. The meeting centred on the implementation of a US-backed peace agreement between Israel and Lebanon, while Aoun also sought a complete withdrawal of Israeli forces from Lebanese territory.

Speaking to reporters in the Oval Office, Trump said he was prepared to engage directly with Hezbollah under certain circumstances. “I would speak with the Lebanese militia if he asks me to,” Trump said, referring to Aoun. “I am always willing to talk to everybody, even if sometimes I am advised not to.”

The comments came as the first tangible steps emerged from the peace agreement brokered by the United States on 26 June. The arrangement, negotiated between the Israeli and Lebanese governments without Hezbollah’s participation, provides for the establishment of “pilot zones” in southern Lebanon. Under the agreement, Israel is expected to withdraw from designated areas while the Lebanese Army deploys to take control. Future Israeli withdrawals are to depend on the Lebanese military demonstrating, under criteria yet to be publicly defined, that it exercises effective control over territory previously influenced by Hezbollah.

On Monday, the US State Department announced the first three pilot zones. The selection surprised many in Lebanon because two of the designated areas reportedly had no Israeli military presence. The following day, Israeli forces withdrew from Zawtar el Gharbiyeh, a small municipality near the southern city of Nabatieh, making it the first visible implementation of the agreement on the ground.

The withdrawal allowed Lebanese troops to enter and patrol the village, producing images that quickly spread across the country. Nearby, residents displaced by months of fighting waited for permission to return to their homes. Their return, however, remained delayed as demining operations continued across an area heavily damaged during the conflict. Water and electricity networks were among the infrastructure reported to have suffered extensive destruction.

Despite the first signs of implementation, uncertainty remained widespread among those affected by the conflict. The US-backed framework does not establish fixed deadlines for a complete Israeli withdrawal, leaving many residents uncertain about when they will be able to return permanently. Even if the agreement progresses municipality by municipality across all 68 occupied localities, the displacement of hundreds of thousands of people could continue for an unspecified period.

Political divisions inside Lebanon have also emerged alongside the military developments. Lebanese Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri expressed scepticism about the agreement, warning that it could become a trigger for civil conflict. Responding during his Washington visit, Aoun defended the legal basis for the arrangement, stating that parliamentary approval was not required under Lebanon’s Constitution.

“The framework of the agreement does not require Parliament’s approval,” Aoun said. “It is a prerogative of the president according to our Constitution, and we are committed to it.” He added that he believed Berri wanted to see the war come to an end. Trump responded by describing Berri as “a good man” and said he believed the parliamentary speaker would support the agreement once he saw progress towards peace.

The first stage of implementation nevertheless unfolded amid renewed tension. The Lebanese Army accused Israeli forces of firing near its soldiers as they entered Zawtar el Gharbiyeh. At the same time, families waiting outside the village reported hearing explosions as Israeli troops continued demolishing buildings in neighbouring occupied communities. Trump acknowledged that he had been informed of the incidents and said they would be discussed during his meeting with Aoun.

Hezbollah remains opposed to any agreement resulting from direct dialogue between the Lebanese and Israeli governments. The Iran-backed movement maintains that its confrontation with Israel legitimises its armed wing and has accused Lebanese authorities of yielding to Western influence. The group resumed attacks against Israel in March following the outbreak of war involving Israel, the United States and Iran. It is also facing domestic political pressure after Lebanon’s government in 2025 became the first to decide formally to pursue its disarmament.

The meeting between Trump and Aoun also included expressions of support for Lebanon and a personal exchange between the two leaders. Trump described Lebanon as “a country of great intellect” that had “suffered greatly for decades” and pledged American assistance. Referring to Hezbollah, he added, “You have a problem called Hezbollah.”

Aoun responded by praising his host, telling Trump he had long looked forward to meeting “such an important president.” Trump replied that Aoun “knows how to win me over” and added, “You’ll get whatever you ask for.”

The diplomatic exchange took place as the agreement entered its earliest and most uncertain phase. While Israeli forces have begun withdrawing from one municipality and Lebanese troops have started deploying in designated areas, the broader process remains incomplete. With continued security incidents, internal political disagreement and Hezbollah’s rejection of the arrangement, the implementation of the US-backed agreement remains ongoing as Lebanon seeks a full Israeli withdrawal from its territory.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog