/

U.S.-Iran Ceasefire Deal Puts Strait of Hormuz at Center of Fragile Regional Truce

Washington and Tehran sign interim agreement covering maritime access, sanctions relief and nuclear commitments as Trump warns Iran of renewed attacks if terms are violated.

3 mins read
The Callisto tanker sits anchored as the traffic is down in the Strait of Hormuz, amid the US-Israeli conflict with Iran, in Muscat, Oman, March 10, 2026.

The United States and Iran have signed an interim ceasefire agreement aimed at ending their war, shifting international attention toward the future of the Strait of Hormuz, sanctions relief and negotiations over a permanent truce. The agreement was signed digitally by U.S. President Donald Trump and Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, according to officials from both countries.

The 14-point memorandum, released on Wednesday, extends a ceasefire arrangement for another 60 days to allow negotiations on a final agreement. It includes provisions for an immediate halt to fighting on all fronts, including Lebanon, the restoration of maritime traffic through the Strait of Hormuz without charges, the lifting of a U.S. blockade on Iranian ports, the easing of sanctions and the release of frozen Iranian assets.

Trump, speaking during the G7 summit in France, warned that the United States could resume military action if Iran failed to comply with the agreement. “We’re going to bomb the hell out of them if they violate the agreement,” Trump said, while also expressing hope that Tehran would honor the commitments and that the deal could lead to broader regional stability and lower oil prices.

The U.S. president also softened one of his previous positions on Iran’s ballistic missile capabilities, saying it would be unfair for Tehran not to possess missiles when other countries have them. Trump had earlier threatened to destroy Iran’s missile program as part of his justification for military action.

Iranian officials did not immediately respond to Trump’s threats while announcing the agreement. Iranian lead negotiator Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf said the country had achieved through negotiations what it sought through military action and described the agreement as including significant economic measures, including the release of billions of dollars in Iranian assets.

The conflict that preceded the ceasefire began after the United States and Israel launched military operations against Iran on February 28. According to the information provided, the fighting expanded into a wider regional confrontation that killed more than 7,000 people, mainly in Iran and Lebanon, while increasing energy prices, adding inflationary pressures and raising concerns about global food supply disruptions.

A central element of the agreement involves the Strait of Hormuz, a critical shipping route between Iran and Oman through which a significant portion of global energy supplies passes. The memorandum calls for the full reopening of maritime traffic through the waterway. Oil prices declined on Wednesday as markets reacted to expectations that shipping through Hormuz could resume, with Brent crude futures falling below $80 before recovering after Trump’s renewed warning of possible military action.

The agreement also addresses Iran’s nuclear program. Tehran pledged not to develop nuclear weapons and agreed to allow the International Atomic Energy Agency to supervise the on-site “down-blending” of enriched uranium stockpiles. However, Iran rejected demands to remove the enriched uranium from the country.

The deal has left several major disputes unresolved. Iran’s government remains in power, its ballistic missile capabilities remain intact and its support for allied groups, including Hizbollah in Lebanon, has not ended. Trump acknowledged changes to his earlier position, saying Iran’s possession of missiles was not necessarily unacceptable under current circumstances.

G7 leaders welcomed the agreement during their summit in France, where discussions also focused on the ceasefire’s implications for Lebanon. The memorandum includes a halt to hostilities between Israel and Hizbollah, a conflict that has displaced more than one million people.

European governments have expressed support for diplomatic efforts but have maintained concerns over Iran’s nuclear activities and regional policies. Leaders from France, Germany, Britain, Japan, Italy, Canada and the United States called for an immediate ceasefire in Lebanon, while Israel, which was not part of the negotiations, said it retained the right to use force.

Trump also commented on tensions between Israel and Lebanon, urging Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to adopt a less aggressive approach toward Hizbollah operations. Trump said Netanyahu could use a “softer touch” in Lebanon, while noting that the Israeli leader had been pursuing his objectives against the group.

Despite the ceasefire agreement, violence continued in southern Lebanon. Lebanese state media reported Israeli air strikes and artillery fire in several towns, while Lebanese security sources said Hizbollah launched two drone attacks against Israeli forces. Israel later reported that five soldiers had been injured in two Hizbollah drone attacks in southern Lebanon.

The ceasefire agreement has reduced immediate tensions between Washington and Tehran, but implementation, maritime security and unresolved regional conflicts remain central challenges as negotiations continue.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog