Hong Kong’s Fire Death Toll Hits 65; Rescue Ongoing, 3 Construction Officials Arrested

Authorities launch criminal probes after “unusual” rapid spread linked to styrofoam materials; full-scale rescue continues as survivors recount chaos and grief.

4 mins read
Firefighters continue to try and contain the fire at Wang Fuk Court in Tai Po, Hong Kong [Photo: Karma Lo/ South China Morning Post]

Updated Story 2: The death toll from the No. 5 alarm fire at Wang Fuk Court in Tai Po has climbed to 65, with more than 70 people injured and over 200 still unaccounted for. Authorities confirmed that three officials from the construction company responsible for the estate have been arrested in connection with the incident. At an afternoon press briefing, the Fire Services Department said rescue efforts remain underway across the complex. Of the estate’s eight residential towers, one has so far been confirmed as unaffected by the blaze.

Updated Story: The death toll from the devastating No. 5 alarm fire at Wang Fuk Court in Tai Po has risen to 55, with over 70 injured and more than 200 residents still unaccounted for, authorities confirmed. Three officials from a construction company have been arrested in connection with the blaze, amid ongoing investigations into possible fire safety violations.

The Fire Services Department (FSD) said rescue operations are continuing, with one of the eight residential towers reportedly unaffected. Survivors continue to be found, including one resident rescued from the 31st floor of Wang Tai House, who was brought to the rooftop by firefighters and later hospitalized.

At least 51 fatalities were confirmed at the scene, with another four succumbing to injuries in hospital. Among the injured, eight firemen are in stable condition, 15 are in critical condition, and 28 are in serious condition. The FSD has received 314 requests for assistance, with 279 already addressed.

Firefighters conducted floor-by-floor searches overnight, operating between the 13th and 3rd floors while focusing firefighting efforts from the 5th to 18th floors. Since the last briefing, officers have handled 72 new casualties, with survivors still being discovered in the affected buildings.

During searches, several building materials suspected of not meeting fire safety standards were discovered. These included external protective netting, waterproof tarpaulin, and plastic sheeting, which burned significantly faster than standard materials. Police also noted a non-affected building had its lift lobby windows blocked by highly flammable foam, potentially contributing to fire spread.

The three arrested construction officials, two directors and one engineering consultant aged 52 to 68, face charges of gross negligence causing death and serious injury. Authorities are investigating whether substandard materials accelerated the fire.

Hospitals across the New Territories have activated emergency protocols. The Hospital Authority’s Major Incident Control Centre is fully mobilized, coordinating nine hospitals on heightened alert. Teams from Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital, Prince of Wales Hospital, and North District Hospital are assisting with rescue operations. Burn centers at Queen Mary Hospital and Prince of Wales Hospital, along with the hyperbaric oxygen unit at Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital, are on standby for incoming patients.

+++

Earlier Repors: Hong Kong is reeling from its deadliest building fire on record after a catastrophic blaze tore through Wang Fuk Court in Tai Po, killing at least 44 people, including a firefighter, and leaving 279 residents unaccounted for. The fire, which erupted on Wednesday afternoon, spread with terrifying speed across seven of the estate’s eight residential blocks, all of which had been shrouded in bamboo scaffolding and green mesh for renovation works since July 2024.

Emergency services reported that 66 people have been hospitalised, with 45 in critical condition, as firefighters continue full-scale rescue operations. By early Thursday morning, fires in four buildings were brought under control, but flames continued to engulf the remaining blocks. Crews have rescued multiple residents and pets, including an elderly woman and animals carried out in nets and cages. Over 900 displaced residents have sought refuge across eight temporary shelters.

Authorities say the unprecedented spread of the blaze was “unusual.” A preliminary investigation found styrofoam materials inside building corridors and sealing several windows—conditions that may have allowed flames to accelerate vertically and horizontally across the blocks. The government confirmed that criminal investigations are underway, and three men, including two directors and a consultant from Prestige Construction & Engineering Company—the contractor responsible for the renovation—have been arrested on suspicion of gross negligence and manslaughter. Documents seized from the firm’s offices allegedly show the use of non-compliant scaffolding materials and polystyrene foam.

The fire, first reported at 2:51pm on Wednesday, rapidly escalated from a No. 1 to No. 5 alarm—the city’s highest fire severity rating—within just over three hours. Towering plumes of black smoke blanketed Tai Po as burning scaffolding mesh peeled away and fell from the buildings. Police fielded multiple reports of residents trapped inside, with some found unconscious and burned in the early stages of evacuation.

Chief Executive John Lee Ka-chiu, who visited injured victims in hospital, called the disaster a “massive catastrophe.” He pledged a full investigation into the fire, including the scaffolding and renovation practices. Lee added that the government would review whether the December 7 election should be postponed, as all electioneering activities are now suspended.

Grief and anxiety ripple through the community as families search for missing loved ones. At hospitals and shelters, distraught relatives await news: a mother clutched her daughter’s graduation photo; a retiree struggled to learn whether his missing family members had made it out alive. Crowds gathered near vantage points around Tai Po, watching the fire continue burning into the night. International condolences have poured in from Japan, Germany, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States, while President Xi Jinping has urged “all-out efforts” to minimise casualties.

Structural engineers warn that heat exposure of 550–600°C for hours may have compromised the buildings’ integrity, particularly the blocks that burned the longest. Experts say demolition may be more viable than repairs. Residents, meanwhile, expressed long-held concerns about scaffolding safety, the quality of renovation materials, and cigarette butts dropped near construction areas.

Despite overwhelming donations flooding shelters—water, food, blankets, and clothing—volunteers are now turning away excess supplies. Roads in the area remain closed, over 30 bus routes diverted, and rail services strengthened to ease commuter strain.

The blaze now surpasses the 1996 Garley Building fire, which killed 41 people, becoming Hong Kong’s deadliest building fire. As smoke continues to drift from the blackened high-rises and emergency responders battle their way toward upper floors, the city faces a long and painful search for the missing—and answers as to how a renovation site became the epicentre of such a devastating tragedy.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog