//

Maltese ‘Golden’ Passports Sold to Russians Linked to Ukraine War

Campaigners warn that if the court rules in Malta’s favor, other countries could be emboldened to revive or launch similar "golden passport" programs, risking a "race to the bottom" across the EU.

1 min read
Valletta, Malta [Micaela Parente/Unsplash]

Several Russian nationals sanctioned over Moscow’s war in Ukraine were able to sidestep EU travel restrictions using Maltese “golden” passports purchased through the country’s controversial citizenship-by-investment program, according to an investigation by the Financial Times. The revelations come as the European Court of Justice prepares to rule this week on whether Malta’s scheme breaches EU law.

Among those named is Russian businessman Albert Avdolyan, who received Maltese citizenship in 2015 and was sanctioned by the EU earlier this year for providing substantial revenue to the Russian government. Avdolyan, who acquired his passport before sanctions were imposed, is one of at least seven individuals who bought Maltese citizenship and were later sanctioned by the US, EU, or Ukraine, the Financial Times found by examining Malta’s Government Gazette and leaked documents.

The investigation also revealed that 16 individuals obtained Maltese citizenship despite being politically exposed persons, later facing criminal convictions or international sanctions. Critics argue the scheme undermines EU integrity by allowing sanctioned individuals access to EU travel, banking, and business privileges.

Malta is the last EU member state still offering citizenship for investment, despite intense pressure from Brussels. The European Commission has taken Malta to court, arguing that selling citizenship undermines the “essence and integrity of EU citizenship.” A ruling is expected on Tuesday.

Transparency International’s Eka Rostomashvili told the Financial Times that schemes like Malta’s act as “insurance policies” for wealthy elites, allowing them to secure EU access just before facing sanctions or legal action. “It opens the EU’s doors, not just Malta’s,” she said.

The Financial Times investigation highlights other figures such as Evgeniya Vladimirovna Bernova, sanctioned by the US for allegedly acquiring dual-use technology for Russian government use, and Pavel Melnikov, a Russian millionaire whose Maltese citizenship was revoked after his conviction for financial crimes in Finland.

Documents leaked to the Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project show that Henley & Partners, the company that designed Malta’s citizenship program, assisted many applicants in securing passports through managed residency proofs like rental agreements and hotel bills.

Despite mounting criticism, Malta’s government insists its program includes strict due diligence, and it has barred Russian and Belarusian nationals from applying following the Ukraine invasion. However, watchdogs like Matthew Caruana Galizia of the Daphne Caruana Galizia Foundation argue that the nature of the scheme itself invites corruption. “It’s not incremental changes that will stop letting the bad guys in — it’s the scheme,” he said.

Campaigners warn that if the court rules in Malta’s favor, other countries could be emboldened to revive or launch similar “golden passport” programs, risking a “race to the bottom” across the EU.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog