/

Mexico Vows to Fight Trump’s New Tariffs on Heavy Trucks as Trade Tensions Rise

President Claudia Sheinbaum says Mexico will push back against U.S. import duties that could threaten $15 billion in exports ahead of the 2026 trade deal review.

2 mins read
Claudia Sheinbaum was sworn in as Mexico’s first female president

Mexican officials have pledged to resist a new round of U.S. tariffs on heavy trucks announced by President Donald Trump, warning that the duties could severely damage a vital export industry and complicate relations ahead of next year’s review of the U.S.-Mexico-Canada trade pact. President Claudia Sheinbaum said she may speak directly with Trump about the planned import tax, which is set to take effect on November 1, noting that while the tariff targets trucks from around the world, Mexico will bear the brunt of the impact.

“Mexico supplies 70% of the heavy trucks imported by the United States,” said Deputy Economy Minister for Foreign Trade Luis Rosendo Gutierrez during a BloombergNEF forum in Mexico City. He explained that the tariffs could affect roughly $15 billion in exports, making them a serious concern for Mexico’s manufacturing sector and broader economy. Gutierrez added that Economy Minister Marcelo Ebrard is currently engaging with U.S. officials to avert the measure, emphasizing that trade relations with Washington remain fluid. “The trade issue is very dynamic: every day we have news and we must adapt,” he said.

Trump’s latest move stems from a U.S. Commerce Department investigation launched in April under Section 232 of the Trade Expansion Act — a law allowing tariffs on imports deemed critical to national security. The department concluded that a “small number” of foreign suppliers dominate U.S. heavy truck imports, accusing them of engaging in “predatory trade practices.” Trump’s decision to impose new duties follows a pattern of aggressive trade measures targeting Mexico this year, including a 25% tariff on certain goods, additional levies on tomatoes, and temporary restrictions on cattle imports due to pest concerns.

Among major manufacturers operating in Mexico, International Motors LLC is expected to be hit hardest since nearly all of its U.S.-bound trucks are produced across the border. Daimler Truck Holding AG, which sources about 83% of its U.S. trucks from Mexican plants, would also be significantly affected. The new tariffs represent another blow to Mexico’s auto industry, already navigating disruptions caused by fluctuating U.S. policies and global supply chain challenges.

Despite the mounting trade tensions, Sheinbaum has maintained a relatively cordial relationship with Trump. The two leaders have held several conversations since she took office, with Trump publicly praising her pragmatic approach. In July, he agreed to continue talks with Mexico for an additional 90 days rather than escalating tariffs further — a move seen as a diplomatic win for Sheinbaum’s administration.

Still, the dispute highlights broader uncertainty about the future of the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), which is due for review in 2026. Trump has previously criticized the pact, raising questions about whether his administration will seek sweeping revisions or allow it to continue largely unchanged. Mexico, for its part, has stressed the importance of preserving the deal’s framework to safeguard regional competitiveness.

At the BloombergNEF forum, Altagracia Gomez Sierra, a business adviser to the Mexican government and chair of Grupo Minsa, underscored the need for unity in defending the trade relationship. “President Sheinbaum’s form of managing it, which has led to an explicit recognition of the USMCA and that Mexico be treated differently than other countries in the world, has been important,” she said. “Only together can we maintain our competitiveness.”

With billions in exports at stake and the USMCA’s future under scrutiny, Mexico’s response to the heavy truck tariffs will test its ability to balance economic diplomacy with national interest — and to navigate an increasingly unpredictable U.S. trade policy.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog