A catastrophic data breach has exposed the identities of more than 100 UK government personnel — including MI6 operatives, elite special forces troops, and senior military officers — putting lives at risk and raising serious concerns about national security.
The leak, which reportedly endangered up to 100,000 individuals in Afghanistan, originated from a database used to manage relocation cases for Afghans seeking sanctuary in Britain. In a stunning security lapse, email addresses and identifying information of British officials were embedded in case notes of the Afghan applicants they were sponsoring.
Among those named were members of Britain’s most secretive military units — the Special Air Service (SAS), Special Boat Service (SBS), and the Special Reconnaissance Regiment (SRR). A major general and a brigadier were also listed in the spreadsheet, which experts say should have been handled with the highest level of security clearance.
“The identification of a named individual as employed in UK special forces or the [intelligence] agencies is ordinarily handled as at least Secret,” said Matthew Savill, director of military sciences at the Royal United Services Institute (RUSI). “If full names and special forces work are in the spreadsheet, that would constitute a breach of security rules.”
The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has confirmed that those affected have been notified and briefed. However, the implications are far-reaching, particularly if the database falls into the hands of the Taliban, who could use it to identify and target Afghan nationals and their UK sponsors.
Initially, the media was gagged from reporting the full extent of the breach due to an extraordinary High Court injunction. While a “super-injunction” was discharged earlier this week, an interim order had still prohibited reporting on the contents of the “case notes” column — a key area where sensitive information, including last known locations, was stored.
During a High Court hearing on Thursday, the MoD conceded to partially lifting the restrictions. Media lawyers argued the government’s handling of the issue was inconsistent, pointing out that Defence Secretary John Healey had already disclosed some protected details in Parliament.
Jude Bunting KC, representing media organizations, told the court, “It was a matter of surprise to the defendant that the secretary of state was able to report those details that the defendants weren’t.”
The revelation adds to growing scrutiny over how the UK government has managed the evacuation and resettlement process following the Taliban’s return to power in Afghanistan. The exposure of both Afghan applicants and their British sponsors in a single, unprotected database is being described as one of the most dangerous intelligence failures in recent memory.

