//

Zelenskyy Says Chinese Fighters Captured in Ukraine

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has claimed that his forces have captured Chinese nationals fighting alongside Russian troops in eastern Ukraine, marking the first time Chinese citizens have been taken prisoner since the war began.

2 mins read
Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky arrives at Jeddah airport, Saudi Arabia. [Photo: Saudi Press Agency]

In a statement Tuesday, Zelenskyy accused Beijing of “militarily supporting Russia’s invasion of Ukraine” and called for an official explanation. He instructed Ukraine’s foreign minister, Andriy Sybiha, to immediately contact Chinese authorities. Sybiha later confirmed that the Chinese chargé d’affaires in Kyiv had been summoned.

“This is another country that militarily supports Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. This is another one after Iran and the North Korean military,” Zelenskyy said. “But there is a difference: the North Koreans fought against us on the front in [Russia’s] Kursk region, the Chinese are fighting on the territory of Ukraine.”

Zelenskyy revealed that the two Chinese fighters were among a six-man unit fighting with Russian forces in the Donetsk region, a hotbed of military activity where Moscow has been pushing offensives in recent weeks. Ukrainian officials said documents and bank cards found on the men confirmed their Chinese nationality.

A video released on Zelenskyy’s Telegram channel appears to show one of the Chinese captives, bound and wearing military fatigues, in Ukrainian custody. It remains unclear whether the individuals are active-duty members of the Chinese military or mercenaries fighting independently for Russia. There have been previous reports of Chinese citizens enlisting in the Russian army on their own accord.

The Ukrainian president said he had instructed intelligence agencies to investigate further, claiming Kyiv had “information that there are significantly more Chinese citizens” embedded within Russian ranks.

Foreign Minister Sybiha said the presence of Chinese nationals fighting in Ukraine “calls into question China’s declared position on peace” and undermines trust in Beijing as a responsible permanent member of the UN Security Council.

Moscow has increasingly turned to foreign fighters to bolster its war effort, with mercenaries from Cuba, India, Yemen, and several African nations reportedly recruited. However, the only regular foreign military forces officially confirmed to be deployed are from North Korea, which sent over 11,000 troops last autumn. According to Western and Ukrainian officials, about 4,000 of those troops have been killed or injured in fighting in Russia’s Kursk region.

Zelenskyy’s remarks also come amid renewed cross-border fighting. On Monday, he confirmed that Ukrainian forces were operating in Russia’s Belgorod region, calling the move “absolutely justified” as a way to protect communities in northeastern Ukraine. “The war must return to where it came from,” he said.

The development also coincides with signs of strain in a fragile, U.S.-brokered ceasefire aimed at protecting energy infrastructure and shipping lanes in the Black Sea. Both Kyiv and Moscow have accused each other of ceasefire violations in recent days.

Russia has resumed large-scale missile and drone attacks on Ukrainian cities, including a deadly strike on Zelenskyy’s hometown of Kryvyi Rih last Friday that killed 20 civilians, including nine children.

U.S. President Donald Trump, who previously expressed frustration with Russian President Vladimir Putin over ceasefire negotiations, condemned the recent bombardments. “Russia is bombing like crazy right now … It’s a horrible thing,” he said Monday. Trump recently admitted he was “pissed off” with Putin for delaying progress on a proposed 30-day ceasefire deal.

The Financial Times recently reported increasing concern in Western capitals over China’s ambiguous role in the conflict, especially as Beijing continues to assert its neutrality publicly while maintaining strong economic and political ties with Moscow. The apparent capture of Chinese nationals on the battlefield may now intensify calls for accountability and force a reevaluation of China’s diplomatic posture in the conflict.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog