/

Modi Declares Superiority Over Pakistan in Post-Clash Speech

Analysts warn the uneasy ceasefire may not hold if either side perceives the other to be regrouping or preparing fresh operations.

1 min read
Prime Minister Modi

Prime Minister Narendra Modi has claimed India “proved its superiority” over Pakistan during last week’s cross-border military clashes, hailing the brief but intense conflict as a strategic victory while warning that New Delhi’s operations were “only paused, not ended.”

In his first public comments since India launched air strikes deep into Pakistani territory, Modi struck a defiant and nationalistic tone during a televised address Monday. “We have always defeated Pakistan in war,” he said, clenching his fist. “India has proved its superiority in the new age of warfare.”

The remarks follow four days of hostilities between the nuclear-armed rivals, during which both nations exchanged missiles and drones in a rare escalation that pushed the region to the brink of open war. The ceasefire agreed on Saturday temporarily halted the conflict, though both countries continue to claim victory.

“We showcased our strength and set new red lines for Islamabad,” Modi said, insisting India’s response to the April massacre of 26 civilians in Pahalgam was both justified and measured. India blames Pakistan for supporting cross-border terrorism — a charge Islamabad denies.

In a speech the day before, Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif painted a very different picture, declaring a “historic victory” against Indian aggression and describing his country as the victim of an “unjustified war.” Islamabad claims it acted purely in self-defence.

Modi dismissed Pakistan’s narrative as a sign of weakness. “A battered Pakistan looked for an escape route,” he said, accusing the Sharif government of pleading for peace after India’s offensive forced it into a corner. “They went crying to the world,” Modi added.

The conflict marks a significant escalation beyond the traditional battleground of Kashmir, with strikes reportedly targeting military installations far from the contested border. While both sides have returned to diplomatic silence under the ceasefire, tensions remain high.

Modi reiterated that “terror and talks cannot go together,” adding that India would engage with Pakistan only on the subjects of terrorism and Pakistan-administered Kashmir — which India claims as its own.

Analysts warn the uneasy ceasefire may not hold if either side perceives the other to be regrouping or preparing fresh operations. International observers have called for restraint, fearing any renewed conflict could quickly spiral.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog