/

Lawsuit thrusts little-known actor into Hollywood spotlight

Mario Rodriguez accuses Tyler Perry of sexual assault, reviving debate over power and accountability in entertainment

1 min read
The Screen Actors Guild statue is seen in front of the Hollywood sign in Los Angeles, the United States, Jan. 20, 2015. (Xinhua/Yang Lei)

Mario Rodriguez was largely unknown beyond casting circles until his name emerged in a lawsuit that has sent ripples through Hollywood, placing an aspiring actor at the center of a high-profile legal and cultural confrontation.

Rodriguez has filed a civil suit in California accusing filmmaker and media mogul Tyler Perry of sexual assault, sexual battery and intentional infliction of emotional distress. The lawsuit, filed on December 25, seeks $77 million in damages. Perry has denied the allegations, and his legal team has dismissed the claims as baseless. Lionsgate, which is also named in the suit for allegedly failing to intervene despite being aware of Perry’s conduct, has likewise denied wrongdoing.

Earlier this month, Rodriguez spoke publicly for the first time in an emotional video posted on Instagram, later reported by People magazine. In the video, he described the personal toll of staying silent for years, saying he felt scared and ashamed for not coming forward sooner. He said regret and a desire to protect others ultimately drove his decision to speak out.

In a subsequent interview cited by CBS News, Rodriguez reflected on what he described as the consequences of his silence, saying that had he spoken up earlier, he might have prevented similar harm to others. His comments have been widely cited as emblematic of the power imbalances he alleges kept him quiet.

According to the complaint, first detailed by Variety, Rodriguez claims he met Perry in 2014 after a trainer at an Equinox gym in Los Angeles allegedly said the filmmaker wanted his contact information to discuss potential work. The lawsuit outlines several alleged incidents over multiple years, some of which are said to have occurred at Perry’s Los Angeles home.

Rodriguez’s professional connection to Perry includes a brief appearance in Boo! A Madea Halloween in 2016, where he was credited as “Frat Guy No. 10.” Beyond acting, he has worked as a model and promoter. Born in Pomona, California, he later moved to Orange County and was discovered in 2013 by designer Michael Costello, leading to runway appearances at Los Angeles Fashion Week.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog