/

Iran Warns of Strikes on U.S. Bases as Military Tensions Rise in Middle East

Tehran says any American attack would trigger retaliation against U.S. forces in the region while insisting host countries would not be targeted

1 min read
President of Iran, Masoud Pezeshkian

Iran will strike U.S. military bases across the Middle East if it comes under attack by American forces, its foreign minister has warned, as tensions escalate amid a growing U.S. military presence and fragile diplomatic efforts over Iran’s nuclear programme. Tehran stressed that such retaliation should not be interpreted as an attack on the countries hosting U.S. troops.

Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi made the remarks in an interview with Qatar-based Al Jazeera television on Saturday, a day after Iran and the United States agreed to continue indirect nuclear talks following what both sides described as constructive discussions held in Oman. Araqchi said no date had yet been set for the next round of negotiations, although U.S. President Donald Trump indicated they could resume as early as next week. Araqchi said both Tehran and Washington shared the view that talks should move forward soon.

The warning comes against the backdrop of heightened rhetoric from Washington. Trump has threatened military action against Iran following a U.S. naval buildup in the region, demanding that Tehran abandon uranium enrichment, curb its ballistic missile programme, and halt support for armed groups across the Middle East. Iran has consistently denied seeking nuclear weapons, maintaining that its nuclear activities are for peaceful purposes.

Despite signals from both sides that diplomacy could be revived after years of stalemate, Araqchi rejected any attempt to broaden the scope of negotiations. He said dialogue was only possible if threats and pressure were set aside, adding that Iran would limit discussions strictly to its nuclear programme and would not negotiate other issues with the United States.

Araqchi also referenced last year’s sharp escalation, when U.S. forces bombed Iranian nuclear facilities during the final phase of a 12-day Israeli air campaign. Tehran later announced it had halted uranium enrichment activities and responded militarily with a missile strike on a U.S. base in Qatar, a country that maintains close relations with both Iran and the United States.

If Washington launches a new attack, Araqchi said Iran’s response could follow a similar pattern. He said Iran would not be able to strike U.S. territory directly but would target American military installations in the region instead. Emphasizing the distinction, he said Iran would not attack neighbouring states themselves, but only U.S. bases located on their soil.

Iran has repeatedly said it seeks international recognition of its right to enrich uranium under the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. Araqchi argued that putting Iran’s missile programme on the negotiating table would leave the country exposed to potential Israeli attacks, underscoring Tehran’s refusal to expand talks beyond the nuclear file as regional tensions continue to simmer.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog