South Korea’s Unification Minister Chung Dong-young said Wednesday that three civilians had flown drones into North Korea on four separate occasions between September and January, incidents he warned had seriously damaged already strained inter-Korean ties. The flights occurred after President Lee Jae Myung took office last year and are now the subject of a joint police and military investigation.
According to Chung, two of the drones crashed inside North Korea, aligning with claims previously made by Pyongyang, while two others returned to the South Korean border city of Paju after flying over Kaesong. Authorities are investigating the civilians for alleged violations of aviation safety laws and for actions deemed to have benefited an enemy state. Officials from South Korea’s military intelligence agency and National Intelligence Service are also under scrutiny for possible involvement. Chung issued an official expression of regret to the North, saying the government was treating the incursions with utmost seriousness.
Pyongyang has reacted angrily to the revelations. Kim Yo Jong, the influential sister of leader Kim Jong Un, demanded a full investigation and warned that such provocations could lead to “terrible situations,” underscoring the risk of escalation on the Korean Peninsula.
Chung also disclosed that 18 drones had previously been sent into North Korea under the direction of former president Yoon Suk Yeol, who was removed from office in April 2025. He described the earlier operation as “extremely dangerous,” alleging it was intended to provoke tensions and potentially justify the imposition of martial law. South Korean prosecutors have since indicted Yoon on charges including aiding an enemy state, though he denies any wrongdoing.
In response to the latest incidents, Seoul plans to tighten legal penalties for unauthorized drone launches toward the North, including possible jail terms of up to one year or fines of 10 million won. The government also intends to amend inter-Korean relations laws to prevent private actions that could inflame tensions.
The controversy comes as Seoul debates whether to revive parts of the 2018 September 19 military agreement, which had suspended certain hostile activities along the border before being scrapped in 2024 amid escalating disputes, including North Korea’s launch of trash-filled balloons southward. South Korea’s defense ministry said it is reviewing a partial restoration of the pact, including the possibility of reimposing a no-fly zone, in consultation with United States.
The unfolding investigations and policy shifts highlight the delicate balance facing the Lee administration as it seeks to prevent further escalation while rebuilding trust across one of the world’s most heavily militarized borders.

