A US Air Force KC-135 Stratotanker went down in western Iraq on Thursday amid ongoing operations linked to the conflict with Iran, with reports differing on the cause and number of crew members aboard. US Central Command confirmed that one of its refueling aircraft had crashed, involving two planes, with the second landing safely. CENTCOM said the crash occurred in friendly airspace during Operation Epic Fury and that it was not due to hostile or friendly fire, with rescue efforts ongoing. A US official told CNN that at least five crew members were aboard, though it was unclear whether any were injured or killed.
Iranian media, including Press TV, and resistance groups in Iraq reported a contrasting account. According to Iran’s Central Headquarters of the Holy Prophet (PBUH) and the Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC), the KC-135 was struck by a missile fired by resistance forces while refueling a US fighter jet. Press TV claimed all six crew members were killed, describing the aircraft’s destruction as “a blaze of righteous retribution” for American aggression in the region.
The KC-135 Stratotanker, a mainstay of the US Air Force since the 1950s, is used for mid-air refueling to extend the range of fighter jets and bombers, playing a central role in sustained airstrikes. The aircraft can also carry cargo or medical patients when configured. The US has not disclosed the specific mission of the tanker during Thursday’s incident.
The crash comes amid heightened regional tensions after US and Israeli forces launched military operations against Iran starting February 28. Iranian authorities claim the conflict escalated following the assassination of the country’s Leader of the Islamic Revolution, Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei, with Tehran retaliating through missile and drone strikes targeting US bases and Israeli-occupied territories. Iran maintains it does not seek conflict with other Arab nations.
The incident follows previous losses in the war, including three F-15E Strike Eagle fighter jets shot down over Kuwait in a friendly fire incident last week, though all six crew members survived. The Trump administration has estimated that the first six days of military action against Iran cost over $11 billion.

