//

US Says 313 Criminal Suspects Were Handed Over to Mexico Under Trump Administration

Ambassador Ronald Johnson cites extradition cooperation between the two countries as Mexico presses Washington over rejected requests and demands greater reciprocity.

2 mins read
Transfer of prisoners to the United States, in Toluca, on January 20.

United States Ambassador to Mexico Ronald Johnson said that 313 people wanted by Mexican authorities were handed over to Mexico during the administration of President Donald Trump, as tensions grow between the two countries over extradition requests and security cooperation.

In a post published Monday on his account on the social media platform X, Johnson announced the capture and transfer of a Mexican citizen wanted in Mexico on charges of child prostitution and sexual assault. He described the case as another example of what he called strong cooperation between the two countries.

“During the Trump Administration, 313 people sought by Mexican justice authorities have been delivered to Mexico so they can face the consequences of their actions,” Johnson said in his message.

The ambassador did not specify in his post the period in which the transfers took place. However, the US Embassy told EL PAÍS that the deliveries occurred from January 20, 2025, the first day of Trump’s second term in the White House.

The embassy said details regarding the crimes involved, as well as whether the transfers were carried out individually or in groups, fall under the responsibility of the US Department of Justice.

The announcement comes amid increased tensions between Washington and Mexico City over security cooperation, the fight against drug trafficking and extradition requests involving Mexican officials accused by the United States of alleged links to organized crime.

The Mexican government has raised concerns over what it considers a lack of reciprocity from the United States regarding extradition requests. Officials at Mexico’s National Palace have argued that Washington has denied or failed to respond to many requests submitted by Mexican authorities.

Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum said the United States had rejected or ignored most of 269 extradition requests presented by Mexico. She said none of the individuals sought through those requests had been transferred to Mexico, while 36 requests had been formally denied by US authorities.

According to Sheinbaum, Mexico submitted the extradition requests between January 2018 and May 13, 2026. She said the issue reflected a lack of balance in cooperation between the two countries.

The dispute intensified after the United States announced accusations and an extradition request against Rubén Rocha Moya, governor of Sinaloa on leave, along with other officials from the state, over alleged links to drug trafficking. Mexico’s Attorney General’s Office said it had not found evidence requiring immediate provisional detention of the officials involved, while Sheinbaum called for additional evidence.

The US Department of Justice has said that the evidence against Gerardo Mérida Sánchez, a retired general and former Sinaloa security secretary accused alongside others in the case, is substantial. Mérida voluntarily surrendered to US authorities, according to the report.

Mexico has also transferred 92 individuals of interest to the Trump administration since October 2024, most of them accused of drug trafficking offenses, according to Sheinbaum. Mexican officials have argued that the difference between the number of people transferred by both countries demonstrates an imbalance in cooperation.

Johnson later said that efforts against drug cartels should unite the two countries rather than create divisions. His remarks prompted a response from Sheinbaum, who said ambassadors should remain focused on coordination and cooperation and respect the internal political affairs of the countries where they serve.

The latest dispute adds to ongoing discussions between Mexico and the United States over security policies, extradition procedures and the handling of criminal cases involving individuals sought by authorities on both sides of the border.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog