Iran has announced the closure of the Strait of Hormuz after a maritime confrontation involving a vessel that Tehran said had violated navigation rules, triggering a fresh escalation in the Gulf as the United States launched new strikes against Iranian targets.
The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Navy said on Sunday that a vessel had been struck after it switched off its tracking systems and travelled along an “unapproved route”, describing the action as a threat to maritime security. The statement did not identify the ship involved but warned that any retaliation against Iran would result in a “severe response”.
“The vessel that had jeopardised maritime security by switching off its systems was struck and brought to a halt,” the IRGC Navy said.
Shortly after Iran’s announcement, the US military confirmed that it had carried out another round of strikes against Iran after IRGC forces attacked a Cyprus-flagged container ship travelling through the strategic waterway.
US Central Command said a civilian crew member was missing following the attack and that the vessel was unable to continue its journey because of an onboard fire and significant engine room damage.
The IRGC said several ships had attempted to pass through the Strait of Hormuz using an “unauthorised route” despite warnings to change course. It announced that the waterway would remain closed “until further notice” and until what it described as the end of US interference in the region.
The Strait of Hormuz is one of the world’s most important energy routes, with roughly one-fifth of global oil supplies passing through the narrow waterway before the conflict began. The disruption has already contributed to rising energy prices and increased concerns over wider economic impacts.
The latest confrontation comes amid ongoing diplomatic efforts to contain a conflict that has destabilised the Gulf since the United States and Israel launched air strikes on Iran on February 28.
The United States has demanded that Iran publicly commit to ending attacks on commercial shipping and guarantee unrestricted navigation through the waterway without additional charges, according to senior US officials.
US President Donald Trump said on Friday that Washington and Tehran had agreed to continue discussions despite the escalation, while also declaring that the ceasefire had ended.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi held discussions in Oman with Omani Foreign Minister Sayyid Badr Albusaidi as mediators attempted to arrange further negotiations involving Iran, the United States, Qatar and Pakistan. Oman’s state news agency said talks would continue at both technical and political levels.
The discussions have focused partly on ensuring safe passage for vessels through the Strait of Hormuz. A reported draft proposal from Oman, cited by CNN, included allowing free navigation through the southern corridor located in Omani territorial waters, while vessels using the northern corridor through Iranian waters would require prior approval from Tehran.
The latest crisis follows attacks earlier in the week on three commercial tankers linked to Qatar and Saudi Arabia. The incidents prompted US strikes on Iranian sites, followed by Iranian strikes against US military positions in Gulf countries.
Although Iran has not claimed responsibility for attacks on the vessels, analysts have said Tehran has previously used pressure on maritime routes as leverage during negotiations.
Iran has accused Washington of violating the ceasefire arrangement, while the United States revoked a licence allowing the sale of Iranian crude oil after the vessel attacks.
The escalation has also intensified tensions following the death of Iran’s former Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on February 28. His successor, Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei, issued a statement threatening retaliation for the killing, pledging to avenge the deaths of the former leader and others killed in the conflict.
Trump has said the US military was prepared to launch thousands of missiles against Iran if Tehran attempted to assassinate him, following reports that Israel had shared intelligence with Washington about a possible Iranian plan targeting the US president.
As diplomatic channels remain open, the closure of the Strait of Hormuz has placed global energy markets and maritime security at the centre of the escalating confrontation, with governments watching closely for further developments.

