China Condemns Pentagon Blacklist of Major Tech Firms Amid Rising U.S. Tensions

Beijing warns of retaliation after the U.S. Defense Department adds leading Chinese technology and industrial companies to its military-linked firms list, escalating geopolitical and trade frictions.

3 mins read
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth during a March 2 Pentagon press briefing.

China has expressed strong opposition to a decision by the United States Defense Department to include several prominent Chinese companies on its updated list of firms it alleges are linked to China’s military, escalating tensions between the world’s two largest economies over technology, security, and industrial competition.

The Chinese commerce ministry said on Saturday that Beijing was “strongly dissatisfied” with the move and firmly opposed it, following the Pentagon’s latest update to its so-called military-linked companies list. The update, released earlier in the week, included major Chinese corporations spanning e-commerce, artificial intelligence, electric vehicles, and renewable energy sectors, reflecting Washington’s growing scrutiny of China’s advanced industrial base.

Among the companies added to the list are some of China’s most influential technology and industrial players, including e-commerce group Alibaba, search engine operator Baidu, electric vehicle manufacturers BYD and NIO, and leading solar panel producers Trina Solar and JA Solar Technology. The inclusion of these firms signals an expansion of U.S. concerns beyond traditional defense-related industries into broader areas of technological and industrial capability.

The Pentagon list identifies companies that the United States says are contributing to China’s military modernization efforts, a designation that carries significant commercial implications. Under U.S. law, firms on the list are restricted from receiving direct contracts with the Defense Department, and over time are expected to face additional barriers to procurement through third-party arrangements. The latest update is set to expand these restrictions further from 2027, tightening the separation between listed firms and U.S. defense-related supply chains.

China’s commerce ministry described the decision as a serious mischaracterization of Chinese companies and urged Washington to immediately reverse its actions. In a statement, it called on the United States to “stop its erroneous practices” and withdraw the measures, arguing that the move undermines efforts to stabilize bilateral relations and ignores previously reached understandings between the two sides.

The foreign ministry also voiced concern over the decision, framing it as part of a broader pattern of restrictions targeting Chinese firms under the justification of national security. Beijing warned that if Chinese companies are not treated fairly, it would “inevitably retaliate resolutely and forcefully,” signaling the possibility of countermeasures if tensions continue to escalate.

The Pentagon update replaces an earlier version issued in 2025 and comes shortly after a period of high-level diplomatic engagement between Washington and Beijing. U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping had met in Beijing the previous month, where both sides publicly maintained a fragile truce in their ongoing trade disputes. The timing of the blacklist expansion has therefore added to concerns that the temporary easing of tensions may be under strain.

According to Chinese authorities, the latest U.S. action disregards the consensus reached during those discussions. Beijing views the inclusion of major civilian-facing companies such as consumer technology platforms and electric vehicle manufacturers as an expansion of national security definitions that extends beyond traditional defense concerns. The companies named operate in sectors that are central to China’s broader industrial strategy and global export ambitions, particularly in electric mobility and renewable energy.

The listed firms represent a significant cross-section of China’s technology ecosystem. Alibaba and Baidu are key players in China’s digital economy, while BYD and NIO are central to the country’s rapidly expanding electric vehicle sector. Trina Solar and JA Solar Technology are among the world’s largest producers of solar panels, underscoring the inclusion of firms tied to global clean energy supply chains.

The U.S. Defense Department’s position is that such companies may be contributing, directly or indirectly, to China’s military-civil fusion strategy, a policy framework that integrates civilian industrial development with military modernization goals. Washington has increasingly used regulatory and trade tools to limit the involvement of Chinese firms in sensitive technology ecosystems, citing national security risks.

China’s response highlights the growing friction between the two countries over the definition and scope of security-related economic restrictions. While Washington has expanded its scrutiny to include a wider range of technology and manufacturing sectors, Beijing has consistently argued that such measures are politically motivated and detrimental to global trade stability.

The latest escalation adds another layer of complexity to already strained U.S.-China relations, which have been marked by cycles of negotiation, temporary truce, and renewed regulatory tightening. With the new restrictions set to take effect over the coming years, both governments are expected to continue facing pressure from domestic industries affected by the widening restrictions on cross-border commercial engagement.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog