Israel’s 50,000-Ton Military Surge During Gaza Conflict

The Palestinian death toll from ongoing Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip has risen to more than 40,400, according to Gaza-based health authorities.

1 min read
Israeli troops are seen near the border with the Gaza Strip, in southern Israel, on May 27, 2024. (Photo by Gil Cohen Magen/Xinhua)

The Israeli Defense Ministry said on Monday that since the beginning of its military operations in Gaza, the country has received more than 50,000 tons of military equipment and ammunition.

“The equipment procured and transported includes armored vehicles, munitions, ammunition, personal protection gear, and medical equipment,” the ministry said.

The military transports have been “crucial for sustaining the Israel Defense Forces’ operational capabilities during the ongoing war” in the Gaza Strip and against Hezbollah along the Israel-Lebanon border, it added.

The ministry did not specify from which countries the arms were purchased, though Israeli government officials had previously said that the majority of its weapons and ammunition were procured from the United States and Europe.

Israel launched a large-scale offensive against Hamas in the Gaza Strip to retaliate against a Hamas rampage through the southern Israeli border on Oct. 7, 2023, during which about 1,200 people were killed and about 250 others taken hostage.

The Palestinian death toll from ongoing Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip has risen to more than 40,400, according to Gaza-based health authorities.

Xinhua News Agency

Founded in 1931, Xinhua News Agency is one of the largest news organizations in the world, with over 10,000 employees across the globe. As the main source of news and information for China, Xinhua plays a key role in shaping the country's media landscape and communicating its perspectives to the world. Sri Lanka Guardian serves as an official content syndication partner of Xinhua.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog

Mecca Draws a New Line

The Mecca Accord, signed in August 2026 by Saudi Arabia, Türkiye and Pakistan, represents a striking