Elon Musk’s SpaceX, in partnership with software firm Palantir and defense tech company Anduril, has reportedly emerged as a leading contender to build key components of former President Donald Trump’s proposed “Golden Dome” missile defense system, according to sources familiar with the matter.
The ambitious plan envisions deploying 400 to over 1,000 satellites to detect and track incoming missiles, along with a separate fleet of 200 offensive satellites equipped with lasers or missiles for interception. The project, if approved, could mark the most significant entry of Silicon Valley into America’s defense-industrial complex to date.
The initiative stems from a January 27 executive order by President Trump, which called a missile attack “the most catastrophic threat facing the United States.” Since then, over 180 companies have reportedly expressed interest in participating in the project. However, SpaceX’s consortium has gained momentum, partly due to its advanced satellite infrastructure and Musk’s advisory role within the Trump administration.
A Radical Model and an Unconventional Bid
SpaceX has proposed an unusual “subscription-based” model for Golden Dome, allowing the U.S. government to pay for access rather than owning the system outright. This approach, while potentially speeding up deployment, has raised concerns within the Pentagon. Critics argue it could reduce government control over the system and make future development and costs difficult to manage.
The Defense Department has not confirmed details of the subscription model but said it is evaluating “options in line with the executive order and White House timelines.”
Controversy Over Musk’s Dual Role
Musk’s involvement in the project has attracted scrutiny from lawmakers due to his status as a special government adviser. Reports say he has donated more than $250 million to support Trump’s campaigns and now plays a key role in shaping federal efficiency and spending policy.
Senator Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH) criticized Musk’s dual role, calling it a “serious problem” and introduced legislation to bar companies owned by special government employees from receiving federal contracts. Representative Donald Beyer (D-VA) echoed concerns, citing Musk’s “inside access to non-public information and data” as a potential conflict of interest.
SpaceX, Palantir, Anduril, and the White House have declined to comment on the reports. Musk dismissed the story in a brief response on his platform X, writing, “This is not true,” without elaborating.
Traditional Defense Giants Still in the Game
Despite the tech-heavy bid led by SpaceX, traditional defense contractors such as Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Northrop Grumman, and RTX are expected to remain major contenders. Lockheed has already launched marketing efforts for its own proposal, according to people familiar with the bidding process.
The Pentagon’s deputy, Steve Feinberg, a former private equity executive and Trump appointee, is expected to be a key decision-maker. Feinberg co-founded Cerberus Capital Management and has ties to companies in the hypersonic missile sector, though not to SpaceX. He has pledged to divest from his interests while in office.
Cost, Complexity, and Skepticism
Experts estimate the full Golden Dome project could cost hundreds of billions of dollars. SpaceX’s portion alone — the “custody layer” of surveillance satellites — is projected to cost between $6 and $10 billion for initial design and engineering. The company’s existing satellite and rocket infrastructure, including its Falcon 9 fleet and spy satellite capabilities, could offer a significant head start.
Still, some defense experts question whether the Silicon Valley-led group can deliver on such a large-scale, mission-critical system. “It remains to be seen whether SpaceX and these tech companies will be able to pull any of this off,” one source said. “They’ve never had to deliver an entire system the nation will rely on for its defense.”
Laura Grego, a space security researcher at the Union of Concerned Scientists, warned of the system’s vulnerabilities. “This kind of defense could be overwhelmed by a mass missile launch,” she said, noting that the size of such a satellite shield might need to scale into the tens of thousands to be effective.
What’s Next
According to an internal memo from Defense Secretary Peter Hegseth, the Pentagon is seeking accelerated deployment of early capabilities by 2026, with full operational phases planned through 2030 and beyond. General Michael Guetlein of the U.S. Space Force is reportedly engaged in discussions on whether the government or SpaceX should operate the satellite network.
As the Pentagon narrows its list of partners, the final structure and contractors involved in the Golden Dome project remain in flux. Still, the involvement of high-profile tech players suggests a new era of defense collaboration may be on the horizon — one that brings with it innovation, political entanglements, and significant risks.

