Britain’s King Charles has stripped his younger brother Andrew of his title of prince and ordered him to leave his Windsor home, in an unprecedented royal move aimed at severing ties between the monarchy and the disgraced royal’s association with Jeffrey Epstein.
The 65-year-old Duke of York, now to be known simply as Andrew Mountbatten Windsor, has faced years of public backlash and scrutiny over his friendship with the late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. Buckingham Palace confirmed on Thursday that the king had formally stripped Andrew of his remaining titles and privileges, escalating a gradual withdrawal of royal status that began in 2019 when he stepped back from public duties.
A palace statement said that Andrew had been served notice to surrender the lease on his Royal Lodge residence on the Windsor Estate and would be relocated to smaller private accommodations at Sandringham in eastern England. “These censures are deemed necessary, notwithstanding the fact that he continues to deny the allegations against him,” the statement read. “Their Majesties wish to make clear that their thoughts and utmost sympathies have been, and will remain with, the victims and survivors of any and all forms of abuse.”
The move, made while King Charles continues to undergo cancer treatment, marks one of the most decisive and symbolic actions against a royal family member in modern history. Sources close to the palace said the decision had the full support of Prince William and other senior royals, who agreed that protecting the monarchy’s integrity outweighed family considerations.
Once celebrated as a charismatic naval officer who fought in the Falklands War, Andrew’s reputation has unraveled over the past decade. He resigned as a UK trade envoy in 2011 following questions over his business connections, and in 2022 was stripped of his military titles and royal patronages after being accused of sexual misconduct—allegations he has consistently denied. That same year, he reached an out-of-court settlement with Virginia Giuffre, who accused him of sexually abusing her as a teenager.
Recent revelations, including 2011 correspondence with Epstein published in the British press, appear to have reignited royal concern. The exchanges showed Andrew maintaining contact with Epstein even after the financier’s conviction, saying they should “keep in close touch” and “play some more soon.”
The eviction from Royal Lodge follows reports that Andrew had not paid rent for the 30-room mansion for nearly two decades, despite initially funding its renovations. The matter drew rare political attention when a parliamentary committee questioned this week whether it was appropriate for the disgraced royal to remain in the residence at public expense.
For King Charles, the move is seen as an act of preservation—an attempt to protect the monarchy’s credibility amid declining support among younger Britons. Royal historians note that the decision echoes the family’s long history of dramatic internal reckonings, from Edward VIII’s abdication in 1936 to the current king’s efforts to modernize and safeguard the institution in an era of growing scrutiny.

