The Miss Universe 2025 competition descended into crisis on Tuesday as dozens of contestants staged a dramatic walkout following an incident in which the event’s host, Nawat Itsaragrisil, publicly insulted Miss Mexico, Fatima Bosch, during a live ceremony. The confrontation, which took place in Bangkok during the “sashing ceremony,” was captured on video and rapidly went viral, sparking outrage among viewers and fellow participants.
According to reports from The Times UK, Nawat reprimanded Bosch, 25, after she refused to join a promotional photoshoot, reportedly following the advice of her management team. Addressing her directly before the assembled contestants, he said, “OK, Mexico, where are you?” and appeared to add, “If you follow the order from your national director, you are a dumbhead.” When Bosch tried to explain her decision, Nawat interrupted her, declaring, “I didn’t give you the opportunity to talk. Keep polite for me … I’m still talking, listen.”
The outburst prompted immediate backlash inside the ballroom. One by one, contestants began standing up and walking out of the event, despite the host’s attempts to call for “Security!” to stop them. Leading the protest was the reigning Miss Universe, Victoria Kjaer Theilvig of Denmark, who said, “Insulting another contestant is a huge lack of respect. That’s why I’m putting on my coat and leaving.” Her departure was followed by several others, marking one of the most chaotic moments in the pageant’s recent history.
Outside the venue, Bosch addressed reporters and condemned the treatment she had received. “I love Thailand. I respect your people and your culture deeply. But what your director just did was not respectful. He called me dumb … that’s not fair. He just attacked me and told me to shut up,” she said. Bosch added that she would not be silenced, emphasizing that she came to the competition to represent empowered women everywhere. “No one will ever make me feel small. I have a purpose, I have things to say. I’m not a doll to be made up and styled. I came here to be a voice for all women and girls who fight for causes.”
The controversy has cast a shadow over what is typically one of the most-watched beauty events in the world. Following the backlash, Nawat issued a tearful apology, claiming that his words had been misunderstood. “You must understand the pressure is a lot,” he said. “I am a human. Sometimes I cannot control myself. But I did not intend to harm anyone. I respect all of you. I am so sorry it happened.” He insisted that he had said “damage,” not “dumbhead,” during the incident.
Despite the turmoil, pageant organizers have confirmed that the Miss Universe competition will continue as scheduled, with the final crowning to take place on November 21 in Bangkok. However, the walkout has already sparked global discussion about respect, professionalism, and the treatment of women in the beauty industry. As Reuters reported, the scandal has overshadowed the glamour of the event and raised serious questions about its leadership and values.

