The United States military is fully prepared to carry out any orders President Donald Trump issues regarding Iran, Secretary of War Pete Hegseth said, as a large US naval force moves toward the Middle East amid rising tensions with Tehran.
Speaking at a cabinet meeting on Thursday, Hegseth warned Iran against pursuing nuclear weapons, a claim Tehran has repeatedly denied. He said the armed forces stand ready to respond decisively if directed by the president.
“We will be prepared to deliver whatever this president expects of the War Department,” Hegseth said.
The secretary pointed to the recent US operation that resulted in the capture of Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro as evidence of Washington’s resolve and military capability.
“That sends a message to every capital around the world that when President Trump speaks, he means business,” he added.
President Trump has described the current naval deployment to the Middle East as a “massive” and “beautiful armada,” reportedly larger than the fleet previously sent toward Venezuela. The force is led by the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln, accompanied by multiple guided-missile destroyers. Tracking data shows US warships moving through the Suez Canal and operating near the Strait of Hormuz, alongside increased surveillance flights in the region.
“We have a lot of very big, very powerful ships sailing to Iran right now, and it would be great if we didn’t have to use them,” Trump told reporters.
Despite the military buildup, the president signalled that diplomacy remains an option. He said he plans to speak with Iranian leaders and outlined two core demands: that Iran abandon any nuclear ambitions and halt the killing of protesters.
US officials say military planning is ongoing. Reports suggest the White House is weighing options that range from targeted strikes on Iranian security forces and nuclear facilities to actions aimed at senior officials, with the goal of intensifying internal pressure on the government in Tehran.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio told senators this week that the United States could carry out a preemptive strike if it believed Iran posed an imminent threat to American or allied forces. He described Iran as weaker than at any point in recent years but cautioned that destabilising the country or pursuing regime change would be far more complex than the operation in Venezuela.
Iran has responded with strong warnings. A deputy foreign minister said the country was “200 percent ready to defend itself,” adding that any US attack would provoke an “appropriate response, not a proportionate one.” Iranian officials have warned that American bases across the region could be targeted.
Iran’s mission to the United Nations said the country remained open to dialogue but cautioned that if provoked, Tehran would “respond like never before.”
As warships continue to move into position, the standoff underscores a widening confrontation between Washington and Tehran, with the risk of escalation rising even as both sides publicly leave the door open to talks.

