/

Updated: Government Confirms Second Iranian Vessel Near Sri Lanka

A second Iranian vessel faces distress off Sri Lanka, prompting emergency port access amid growing Indian Ocean tensions.

3 mins read
File Photo of the Iranian Navy

by Our Correspondent in Colombo

Latest Update

Opposition Leader Sajith Premadasa questioned in Parliament today whether the government is aware that another Iranian ship has arrived near the Port of Colombo.

He stated that, in accordance with international conventions, no military activities are permitted within a country’s Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ). The Opposition Leader emphasized that the government should make an official statement to Parliament regarding the attack on the Iranian warship located about 19 nautical miles from Galle. He further said that attacking such a warship constitutes a violation of international law.

He also warned that the arrival of a second Iranian ship could pose a serious threat to national security.

Responding to these concerns, Chief Government Whip and ruling party Chief Organizer Nalinda Jayatissa urged the opposition to consider the situation from a national perspective. He stated that the government is acting responsibly and in accordance with international conventions, and requested the opposition not to attempt to settle political differences at this sensitive time.

“There are many more developments taking place in this maritime area than what the Leader of the Opposition mentioned. We are aware of many aspects of the situation. The government is acting with full knowledge of these developments. The President, in his capacity as Minister of Defence, along with the Security Council and the government, is fully aware of the facts surrounding this matter,” he said.

“Based on this knowledge, they are intervening to resolve the issue, minimize loss of life, and preserve regional peace.”

He further noted that the ship is not within Sri Lanka’s national waters but is located within the Exclusive Economic Zone close to national waters.

“However, we can assure that we are intervening to the maximum extent possible regarding the safety of those lives. Once these developments are concluded, I will submit a detailed report to Parliament,” he added.


Previous Report

Another Iranian Ship Stranded, Requesting Emergency Docking in Sri Lanka

Another Iranian ship has become stranded in the waters off Panadura, carrying nearly 300 passengers and in urgent need of food and drinking water, less than 24 hours after a US submarine attacked and sank one of Iran’s warships while it was en route from India.

The Iranian embassy in Colombo formally requested the Secretary of the Ministry of Defense to allow the vessel to dock at a Sri Lankan port for 24 hours, but initial approval has not yet been granted. Authorities have assured the embassy that permission will be considered, though the vessel remains stranded as of now.

The situation gained urgency when former President Ranil Wickremesinghe visited the Iranian embassy on March 5 to offer condolences over the passing of Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. Embassy officials briefed him on the stranded ship, prompting Western Province Governor Hanif Yusuf to intervene. While assurances were given regarding eventual permission, the vessel continues to await clearance to dock and resupply, leaving the safety and welfare of those on board a pressing concern.

The incident follows a similar episode on March 4, when an Iranian naval vessel was reported to be in danger approximately 40 nautical miles from Galle port. By the time the Sri Lankan Navy and Air Force reached the location in response to the distress call, the ship had already sunk, with only a few crew members managing to escape using life boats.

The Sri Lankan Guardian exclusively reported the incident, suggesting the possibility of a submarine attack on the naval vessel. This was later confirmed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth, who announced that an Iranian warship had been torpedoed in the Indian Ocean, heightening fears of an escalating maritime conflict in the region.

Karapitiya National Hospital in Galle

The bodies of 84 sailors from the Iranian ship that was attacked by a U.S. submarine were brought to the morgue of Karapitiya National Hospital in Galle last night (04), according to the hospital’s Judicial Medical Officer’s Office. The body bags required to transport the remains were provided to the Sri Lanka Navy by the Forensic Medicine Unit of the Karapitiya Medical Faculty.

Meanwhile, issuing a statement about yesterday’s event, Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi said the U.S. had “perpetrated an atrocity at sea, 2,000 miles away from Iran’s shores.” He added that frigate Dena, a guest of the Indian Navy carrying nearly 130 sailors, was struck in international waters without warning, warning that “the U.S. will come to bitterly regret the precedent it has set.”

Some of the bodies brought to the hospital were placed inside the morgue, while the remaining bodies were preserved using ice due to limited storage capacity. Authorities are now planning to bring in an additional cold storage facility to the hospital premises as the morgue has reached capacity. The process of handling and examining the bodies was carried out under the supervision of Specialist Forensic Medical Officer Professor U.C.P. Perera, Professor Ajith Ratnaweera, and Specialist Forensic Medical Officer Janaki Warushahennadi, with assistance from Assistant Forensic Medical Officers and medical students from the Forensic Medicine Department of the Karapitiya Medical Faculty.

Professor Ajith Ratnaweera stated that steps were taken to photograph each body in order to confirm identities. He further said that detailed documentation was carried out, including photographing the faces of the deceased and recording identifying details to support the identification process. Officials said these procedures are necessary to assist with future identification efforts and any potential repatriation processes.

Furthermore, reliable sources in Colombo say that President Anura Kumara Dissanayake is scheduled to address the nation in the evening and explain the situation regarding the rising geopolitical tensions affecting Colombo.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog