The Vatican has opened a preliminary investigation into allegations of sexual abuse against Spanish Cardinal Cristóbal López Romero, the Archbishop of Rabat, after several adult women accused him of inappropriate conduct, according to a statement issued by the Moroccan archdiocese.
López Romero, a 77-year-old Spanish Salesian cardinal, confirmed the investigation in a statement released on Tuesday. He said the inquiry was being conducted by the Roman Catholic Church and that he was cooperating with the process.
“I am accused of inappropriate conduct toward adult women. This situation has led the Church to open a preliminary investigation,” López Romero said in the statement. “This investigation is ongoing and is being conducted by the Roman Catholic Church, with which I am cooperating.”
The cardinal also denied committing any form of assault, violence or sexual harassment. Speaking to the EFE news agency, he said: “I have not committed any assault, violence, or sexual harassment.”
According to EFE, citing AFP, five women have accused López Romero. The Vatican’s Holy See Press Office, contacted for comment, said it referred to the cardinal’s own statement and indicated that it would not provide further information at this stage.
The investigation marks an unprecedented development within the Spanish Catholic Church. No Spanish cardinal has previously faced allegations of sexual abuse leading to a Vatican investigation. López Romero is the highest-ranking Spanish Church official to be investigated by the Vatican in such a case.
The inquiry follows a previous Vatican investigation into Bishop Rafael Zornoza of Cádiz, which was reported by El País. That case involved allegations concerning a minor, while the current investigation into López Romero relates to alleged conduct involving adult women. The earlier case was closed by the Vatican’s Dicastery for the Doctrine of the Faith on legal grounds.
López Romero said he would step back from public duties while the investigation continues. He announced that, in order not to interfere with the process, he would not preside over public religious celebrations or participate in pastoral activities during the inquiry.
The cardinal expressed concern over the situation and acknowledged the impact of the allegations on the Catholic community in Rabat. “This event worries us all,” he said in his statement.
López Romero has served as Archbishop of Rabat since 2017 and was elevated to the rank of cardinal by Pope Francis in October 2019, following the Pope’s visit to Morocco earlier that year. During the most recent papal conclave, his name was among those considered as a possible candidate for election.
In his statement, López Romero said he understood the difficulties created by the investigation and the questions it could raise among members of the diocesan community.
“I am fully aware of the difficulties this is causing and the legitimate questions it may raise. Therefore, I wish to inform the members of the diocesan community as soon as possible,” he said in the statement dated Monday, July 6.
The cardinal concluded his message by asking for prayers for those affected by the situation, for the Church and for himself while the investigation proceeds.
Born in Almería, Spain, López Romero joined the Salesians before studying journalism in Barcelona. He left Spain as a missionary during the 1980s and later worked in Paraguay and Bolivia, where he served as provincial superior of the Salesian congregation before moving to Morocco.
The Vatican investigation is now underway as the Church examines the allegations and López Romero remains temporarily withdrawn from public and pastoral activities pending further decisions.

