/

Nestlé Expands Infant Formula Recall Amid Toxin Concerns

Swiss food giant adds new batch of Guigoz formula following France’s stricter cereulide limits, raising global safety alarms.

1 min read
Nestlé

Nestlé announced on Wednesday that it was widening its recall of infant formula to include an additional batch of its Guigoz brand after France lowered the maximum allowed threshold for cereulide, a toxin that can cause nausea and vomiting. The Swiss company said the move was voluntary and comes amid evolving testing methods for detecting the toxin.

Cereulide has been found in ingredients from a Chinese factory supplying multiple major formula makers, including Nestlé, Danone, and Lactalis. The contamination has prompted recalls in dozens of countries and heightened concerns among parents about infant food safety. Nestlé had previously recalled other batches of Guigoz formula in France in December and January, and the latest action extends those precautions.

In its recall alert, Nestlé emphasized that the decision reflects updated analytical methods and a commitment to consumer safety. “As methods for analyzing cereulide have evolved, we are voluntarily recalling a batch of Guigoz infant formula in addition to the batches already recalled,” the company said. The development underscores ongoing challenges in maintaining quality control and safety standards in global supply chains for baby nutrition products.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog