//

Trump Cuts G7 Visit Short as Israel-Iran Conflict Escalates

The coming days will likely prove decisive — not only for the fate of Iran and Israel but for U.S. influence in shaping a resolution.

2 mins read
Allies in politics, divided by priorities.

U.S. President Donald Trump abruptly departed the G7 summit in Canada Monday evening, citing a rapidly deteriorating situation in the Middle East, moments after issuing a dramatic call for the evacuation of Tehran amid escalating hostilities between Israel and Iran.

“Everyone should immediately evacuate Tehran!” Trump posted on Truth Social. “Iran should have signed the ‘deal’ I told them to sign. What a shame, and waste of human life. Simply stated, IRAN CAN NOT HAVE A NUCLEAR WEAPON. I said it over and over again!”

Speaking to reporters shortly afterward, Trump said he needed to return to Washington “for obvious reasons… as soon as I can,” suggesting his early departure was understood by fellow G7 leaders. “This is big stuff,” he added.

The president’s departure was confirmed by White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt, who stated on X that “President Trump will be leaving tonight after dinner with Heads of State” due to developments in the region. According to Fox News, Trump has asked the National Security Council to be on standby in the situation room.

Earlier in the day, Israel’s military launched a precision airstrike on Iran’s state broadcaster, Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB), located in central Tehran. The bombing reportedly disrupted live television, with footage showing a presenter abruptly leaving her seat as explosions were heard. Israel’s Defence Minister, Israel Katz, confirmed responsibility for the strike, citing Iran’s use of the facility for “military coordination and propaganda.”

The targeted district also houses key institutions, including three hospitals and the national police headquarters. Up to 330,000 residents have been advised to evacuate.

Iran’s Foreign Ministry condemned the attack as a “war crime,” with spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei calling on the United Nations Security Council to act. “The UNSC must stop the genocidal aggressor from committing further atrocities,” he said.

The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps also labeled the strike “inhuman, criminal and a terrorist act.”

The latest wave of violence began last week, when Israel launched surprise aerial strikes across Iran, aimed at halting Tehran’s alleged nuclear weapons program – a claim Iran continues to deny. In retaliation, Iran has launched over 370 missiles and hundreds of drones into Israeli territory.

Iran reports at least 224 deaths, mostly civilians, over five days of Israeli strikes. Israeli officials say 24 of their citizens have died, with over 500 wounded.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi accused Washington of enabling Israel’s aggression, writing on social media: “It takes one phone call from Washington to muzzle someone like [Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin] Netanyahu. That may pave the way for a return to diplomacy.”

In a rare move, the Chinese embassy in Israel issued a notice on WeChat advising Chinese nationals to evacuate due to the “severe” and “deteriorating” security conditions. With Israeli airspace closed, the embassy urged citizens to exit through land crossings into Jordan.

When asked whether Israel would consider U.S.-mediated negotiations, Prime Minister Netanyahu said Israel was open to alternative solutions but reiterated the nation’s red lines. “If [peace] can be achieved in another way – fine. But we gave it a 60-day chance,” Netanyahu said.

He also made his most direct threat yet toward Iran’s leadership, claiming that the death of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei would “end the conflict.”

Trump’s calls for evacuation, coupled with his earlier insistence that Iran must not acquire nuclear weapons, signal a return to the kind of high-stakes brinkmanship seen during his first term. Analysts warn that without de-escalation, the situation risks spiraling into all-out regional war.

Meanwhile, efforts to revive diplomacy appear strained, with Iran demanding an immediate cessation of Israeli airstrikes as a precondition for talks, and Israel maintaining its offensive posture.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog