/

Kremlin Says Putin Accepts Parts of U.S. Peace Plan, Rejects Others

Moscow signals willingness for repeated negotiations as U.S. and European proposals diverge

1 min read
US team in Moscow talking to the President Putin

Russia said President Vladimir Putin has accepted some elements of recent U.S. proposals aimed at ending the war in Ukraine while rejecting others, according to reporting from Reuters. Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Wednesday that Moscow remains prepared to meet U.S. negotiators “as many times as it took” to reach a workable agreement, following overnight talks between Putin and U.S. President Donald Trump’s special envoy Steve Witkoff, accompanied by Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner.

Peskov told Reuters that it would be inaccurate to say Putin had rejected the U.S. proposals outright, emphasizing that the late-night meeting amounted to the first direct exchange on the plan. He described the discussions as a normal part of exploring potential compromises, noting that some ideas were accepted, while others were deemed unacceptable. He added that the Kremlin appreciated Trump’s efforts but would not offer a running commentary on negotiations, arguing that public scrutiny could hinder progress.

The talks come amid tensions over leaked U.S. draft proposals — a 28-point framework that surfaced in November — which alarmed Ukrainian and European officials who said the terms appeared to concede too much to Moscow. European governments responded with a counter-proposal, and at subsequent meetings in Geneva the United States and Ukraine said they had produced an updated and refined peace framework. Putin, however, accused European powers on Tuesday of trying to undermine peace efforts by putting forward ideas he called completely unacceptable.

According to Reuters, Yuri Ushakov, Putin’s foreign policy aide, said Moscow had earlier received a set of 27 U.S. proposals and later four additional documents, which were discussed in detail with Witkoff during the latest talks. Putin recently said Washington and Kyiv had divided the original proposals into four components, though the contents of those documents have not been disclosed publicly.

Peskov told Reuters that technical discussions are now underway at the expert level, where he said meaningful progress must be made before any future high-level engagement. As negotiations continue, the path forward remains uncertain, with no compromises reached so far and substantial differences still separating the parties.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog