The World Health Organization has said the risk of further international spread of the Nipah virus from the latest outbreak in India remains low, adding that there is no evidence so far of increased human-to-human transmission. The assessment follows a cluster of cases in the eastern Indian state of West Bengal, where five infections have been confirmed and nearly 100 people placed under quarantine.
In an exclusive response to an inquiry, a WHO official said India has demonstrated its capacity to contain Nipah outbreaks in the past and is once again deploying coordinated public health measures. National and state health authorities are jointly rolling out surveillance, contact tracing and infection-control responses to prevent further spread, the official said.
However, the WHO cautioned that the source of the current infections has not yet been fully identified. Nipah virus is known to circulate naturally in fruit bat populations in parts of India and neighbouring Bangladesh, including areas of West Bengal, raising the possibility of further exposure.
“It is possible that further exposure to Nipah virus could occur, given the known reservoir of the virus in bat populations,” the official said. “Community awareness of risk factors, such as the consumption of raw date palm sap, needs to be strengthened.”
This is the seventh documented Nipah outbreak in India and the third recorded in West Bengal since 2001. Previous outbreaks in the state occurred in Siliguri district in 2001 and in Nadia district in 2007, both close to the border with Bangladesh, where near-annual Nipah outbreaks have been reported. Other Indian outbreaks have largely been concentrated in the southern state of Kerala.
Amid growing regional concern, Chinese health authorities said on Tuesday that no cases of Nipah virus disease have been detected in China. The National Disease Control and Prevention Administration said the outbreak in India is primarily confined to West Bengal, which does not share a land border with China, limiting the immediate risk of cross-border transmission.
“Based on a comprehensive assessment, the impact of this Nipah virus outbreak in India on China is relatively small,” the administration said. It added, however, that there remains a risk of imported cases from abroad and that preventive measures should be strengthened.
Chinese disease control authorities said they have closely monitored overseas developments since the outbreak emerged, conducted risk assessments, and intensified training for medical and public health professionals. Surveillance and laboratory testing have been reinforced, with particular attention given to border regions and points of entry.
Elsewhere in Asia, several airports have tightened health surveillance and passenger screening in response to the outbreak. Media reports say enhanced measures have been introduced in China’s Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, Taiwan, Thailand and Nepal, reflecting heightened vigilance across the region.
Nipah virus, a zoonotic disease with a high fatality rate, can cause severe respiratory illness and encephalitis. While outbreaks are typically limited and sporadic, health authorities stress that rapid detection, public awareness and strong infection-control measures remain critical to preventing wider transmission.

