French Defence Giant Naval Group Targeted in Cyberattack

Sensitive Submarine Data Allegedly Leaked

1 min read
A representational image [ Photo: Naval Group]

French defence contractor Naval Group has confirmed it was targeted by a cyberattack after hackers claimed to have accessed and published sensitive information related to its submarines and frigates. The incident, described by the company as a “reputational attack,” comes amid growing geopolitical and cyber tensions, according to a report by the Financial Times.

The attackers, who have not issued any ransom demands, released 30 gigabytes of data on an online forum, alleging it forms part of a larger 1-terabyte cache. The leaked files reportedly pertain to the combat management systems used in Naval Group’s vessels — highly sensitive technology that underpins the operation of modern naval assets.

Naval Group, which builds submarines and warships for the French navy and other international clients, said in a statement Saturday evening that it has launched an investigation in coordination with French authorities. “All our teams and resources are currently mobilised to analyse and verify the authenticity, origins and ownership of the data as quickly as possible,” the company said.

Importantly, the defence firm — which is majority-owned by the French state, with a 35 percent stake held by Thales Group — stressed that no intrusion into its internal IT systems has been detected so far. Operations have reportedly not been disrupted.

The hackers’ motivations remain unclear, but Naval Group stated it has not engaged in communication with them, adhering to internal cybersecurity protocols. The company emphasized the gravity of the situation, particularly due to the potentially sensitive nature of the data and the “need to protect the data of our clients.”

While the full extent and authenticity of the data breach remain under scrutiny, cybersecurity experts note that even the claim of such an intrusion could have broad implications for global military supply chains. Naval Group holds critical contracts with numerous foreign governments, making this incident a stark reminder of the rising threat of cyber espionage against the defence sector.

As the investigation unfolds, questions loom over who is behind the attack and whether any classified or export-restricted information has been compromised.

Further details will emerge as French authorities and Naval Group delve deeper into the breach.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog