India’s government on Wednesday withdrew a directive that would have required all smartphone makers to preinstall a state-run cybersecurity app on new devices, following widespread criticism from opposition leaders, privacy advocates and major global tech companies.
The Ministry of Communications announced the reversal in a press statement, saying the government had “decided not to make the pre-installation mandatory for mobile manufacturers.”
The about-face comes just days after Reuters revealed that Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s administration had quietly instructed Apple, Samsung and Xiaomi on Nov. 28 to preload the app — called Sanchar Saathi — on all new phones within 90 days, and to ensure the app could not be removed.
The directive triggered an immediate uproar. Opposition parties accused the government of enabling mass surveillance, while editorials across national newspapers slammed the plan as a violation of privacy rights. Tech firms also pushed back, with Apple and Samsung privately indicating they would not comply, according to industry sources.
Government ministers had defended the move as recently as Tuesday, saying the app was intended only to help track and block stolen phones and protect consumers from fraud.
But critics warned that forcing a non-removable government app onto every device raised significant risks. Senior Congress leader Randeep Singh Surjewala demanded the government explain its legal basis for such a mandate, warning in Parliament of fears that the app could contain a “backdoor” compromising user privacy.
The decision marks the latest regulatory retreat for New Delhi. Last year, the government rolled back a sudden licensing requirement for laptop imports after pushback from U.S. officials and industry groups.
“India’s highly unpredictable regulatory framework presents constant challenges for business that values predictability,” said Mishi Choudhary, a technology lawyer and digital rights advocate. She welcomed the move but warned that ad-hoc policymaking without clear evidence “is concerning.”
In its statement, the government said it reversed course because the app was gaining traction voluntarily — claiming 600,000 downloads since Tuesday. It described Sanchar Saathi as secure and focused on protecting citizens from cyber fraud.
Industry experts noted that few countries have tried similar measures. Russia is among the only known examples, recently mandating preinstallation of a state-backed messaging app that critics say can be used for surveillance.
The Modi government has previously faced criticism over digital privacy issues, including the compulsory use of a COVID-19 contact-tracing app in 2020 — a requirement that was later softened after public outcry.

