/

Tulsi Releases Declassified Documents Alleging Obama-Era Coup Attempt Against Trump

Newly unveiled intelligence suggests senior officials overruled assessments to push ‘Russiagate’ narrative, Gabbard says

2 mins read
US Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard

U.S. Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard on Friday released a trove of declassified documents alleging that senior Obama-era officials deliberately manipulated intelligence to portray Russia as interfering in the 2016 presidential election.

The over 100 pages of emails, internal memos, and classified briefings — now public — allegedly reveal what Gabbard describes as “overwhelming evidence” of a coordinated effort within the highest levels of the Obama administration to suppress dissenting intelligence findings and construct a politically motivated case against then-President-elect Donald Trump.

“This was not intelligence gathering. It was narrative building,” Gabbard said in a press conference, calling the scheme “a treasonous conspiracy to subvert the will of the American people.”

According to Gabbard, the documents show that key intelligence agencies, including the CIA, FBI, NSA, and DHS, had originally concluded that Russia had “neither the intent nor capability” to affect the outcome of the 2016 U.S. election. One particularly striking document — a draft President’s Daily Brief from December 8, 2016 — explicitly stated that Russia “did not impact recent U.S. election results.”

However, the brief was reportedly withheld at the last moment, based on what internal emails describe as “new guidance.” That same day, a high-level meeting in the White House Situation Room — attended by senior officials including then-DNI James Clapper, CIA Director John Brennan, NSA Susan Rice, FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe, and Attorney General Loretta Lynch — resulted in the creation of a new assessment at the request of President Barack Obama.

That revised intelligence report, released on January 6, 2017, alleged that Russia had interfered in the election with the intention of helping Trump — a conclusion that directly contradicted earlier internal assessments.

The new report, Gabbard says, heavily relied on the discredited Steele Dossier, a collection of unverified allegations compiled by a former British intelligence officer. “This intelligence was weaponized,” Gabbard said. “It was used as justification for endless smears, for sanctions from Congress, and for covert investigations.”

Gabbard also revealed that dissenting views within the intelligence community were suppressed, and that internal warnings about lack of evidence were sidelined in favor of a politically charged narrative. “For months before the 2016 election, the Intelligence Community maintained that Russia lacked both the intent and capability to hack U.S. elections,” she noted. “But once President Trump won, everything changed.”

The fallout from the so-called Russiagate investigation, sparked in part by these intelligence findings, had a profound effect on U.S.–Russia relations, leading to sanctions, asset freezes, and a collapse in diplomatic channels.

Gabbard, who became DNI earlier this year after a contentious confirmation process, said she has forwarded the documents to the Department of Justice and is urging full criminal investigations into the roles played by Brennan, Comey, and others. “No matter how powerful, every person involved must be brought to justice,” she said.

“The integrity of our democratic republic depends on full accountability,” Gabbard concluded. “Nothing less will restore the public’s trust — and ensure nothing like this ever happens again.”

The revelations are already causing political shockwaves, with lawmakers from both parties demanding hearings and further declassifications. Meanwhile, former Obama officials have yet to comment publicly on the documents or the allegations.

If substantiated, the accusations could amount to one of the most significant political scandals in modern U.S. history, raising serious questions about intelligence ethics, political manipulation, and executive overreach at the highest levels of government.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog