/

India Can’t Stay Silent as Trump Wrecks Global Trade: Jairam Ramesh

As global trade dynamics shift and protectionism rises, India's response to the evolving challenges could determine its future role in the international economic order.

1 min read
Congress General Secretary Jairam Ramesh

by Our Correspondent in New Delhi

Congress General Secretary Jairam Ramesh on Friday sharply criticized former US President Donald Trump’s renewed tariff threats, urging the Indian government to take a stronger stance in defending multilateral institutions like the World Trade Organisation (WTO), which he said are being systematically dismantled.

Ramesh’s remarks came in response to Trump’s announcement of a 25% tariff on Indian goods, along with warnings of additional penalties if India continues purchasing oil from Russia. The Congress MP called for urgent and decisive action, arguing that India “cannot remain a mute spectator” amid escalating global trade tensions.

“The WTO had been dealt very heavy blows during Trump I. It has been destroyed during Trump II,” Ramesh said in a post on social media platform X (formerly Twitter). “The rules-based, multilateral trading system put in place with the US itself playing a leadership role has been finished off.”

He added that Trump has also “gutted” the World Health Organisation, withdrawn the US from the Paris Climate Agreement, and exited UNESCO — actions that, according to Ramesh, have weakened the global institutional framework in which India has a vital stake.

“It (India) cannot remain a mute spectator and be content with coining slogans and acronyms,” he said, in an apparent dig at the Modi government’s use of branding campaigns without substantive policy responses.

Responding to the developments, Union Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal assured Parliament on Thursday that the government is closely monitoring the situation. He said the Commerce Ministry is in active consultation with exporters, industry leaders, and other stakeholders to assess the potential impact of the proposed US tariffs.

“The Government gives utmost priority to the welfare of farmers, labourers, entrepreneurs, industrialists, exporters, MSMEs, and all stakeholders in the industrial sector. We will take all necessary steps to safeguard our national interest,” Goyal said.

He reiterated the government’s commitment to economic self-reliance and long-term growth, saying, “India is moving forward with self-confidence towards Aatmanirbharta. We are on a swift journey of inclusive and consistent development towards the goal of Viksit Bharat 2047.”

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog

Mecca Draws a New Line

The Mecca Accord, signed in August 2026 by Saudi Arabia, Türkiye and Pakistan, represents a striking