Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva firmly rejected US-imposed tariffs on Brazilian goods, declaring on Thursday that he would not take orders from a “gringo” — a common Brazilian term for foreigners — in response to a recent letter from US President Donald Trump.
Last week, Trump announced a 50 percent tariff on Brazilian imports, citing Brazil’s treatment of former president Jair Bolsonaro and accusing Brazil of unfair trade practices against American companies. The tariffs are scheduled to take effect in August.
Speaking to leftist student activists in the state of Goiás while wearing a bright red shirt, Lula dismissed the rationale behind the tariffs and underscored Brazil’s sovereignty. “No gringo is going to give orders to this president,” he stated emphatically.
Lula also affirmed Brazil’s intention to proceed with plans to regulate and tax US technology firms operating in the country, accusing these companies of spreading violence and fake news under the pretext of freedom of expression.
Foreign Relations Minister Mauro Vieira told CNN Brasil that Lula remains open to dialogue with the Trump administration, though no meeting has yet been arranged. “If the circumstances are given, they will speak,” Vieira said.
In the meantime, Brasília has been consulting with industry stakeholders affected by the tariffs and preparing potential retaliatory measures should negotiations fail.

