//

UK Ordered to Pay Massive Compensation Over Colonial-Era Massacre

Nigerian court rules Britain must compensate families of unarmed miners killed in 1949, calling the judgment a landmark for historical justice

2 mins read
Queen in Nigeria

A Nigerian court has ordered the British government to pay hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation to the descendants of unarmed civilians killed during a colonial-era massacre, in a ruling described by lawyers as a milestone in the pursuit of accountability for abuses committed under imperial rule.

Justice Anthony Onovo of the Enugu High Court ruled on Thursday that the United Kingdom must pay $27 million to each of the families of 21 Black coal miners who were shot dead in 1949 at the Iva Valley Coal Mine in southeastern Nigeria. The miners were killed while protesting dire working conditions under British colonial administration, an incident widely known in Nigeria as the Enugu Colliery Massacre.

The court heard that the miners had launched a nonviolent “go-slow” protest, occupying the mine to prevent management from locking them out after their demands for better working conditions, fair wages, and payment of arrears were ignored. According to accounts cited by the News Agency of Nigeria, the protesters were unarmed and posed no threat when the colonial-era British Superintendent of Police, F.S. Philip, ordered officers to open fire.

Twenty-one miners were killed and at least 51 others wounded in what Nigerian historians describe as one of the most notorious acts of repression during British rule. In his judgment, Justice Onovo emphasized that the miners were engaged in peaceful civil disobedience and posed no danger to the authorities.

“These defenseless coal miners were asking for improved work conditions; they were not embarking on any violent action against the authorities, yet they were shot and killed,” the judge said, according to NAN.

Beyond the compensation itself, the court ordered the British government to pay post-judgment interest at a rate of 10 percent per year if the sums are not paid within 90 days. It also directed that formal written apologies be published in both Nigerian and British newspapers within 60 days.

One of the lawyers representing the plaintiffs, Yemi Akinseye-George, described the ruling as a breakthrough for victims of colonial violence. He said the decision marked “a significant milestone in the pursuit of historical accountability” and affirmed that “the right to life transcends time, borders, and changes in sovereignty.”

The 1949 massacre is widely regarded as a turning point in Nigeria’s anti-colonial struggle, helping to galvanize opposition to British rule and strengthen nationalist movements that eventually led to independence in 1960.

In London, a spokesperson for 10 Downing Street said the British government had not yet been formally notified of the Enugu High Court’s ruling by Nigerian authorities and therefore could not comment on whether the order would be honored. The UK has long maintained that it does not accept liability for actions carried out by colonial administrations.

However, Britain has previously agreed to compensate victims of historical abuses. In 2013, the UK government paid £19.9 million to more than 5,000 elderly Kenyans who were tortured and abused by British forces during the Mau Mau uprising in the 1950s, setting a precedent that continues to fuel similar claims across former colonies.

The Nigerian ruling is likely to intensify debate over Britain’s legal and moral responsibility for colonial-era violence, as calls grow for broader recognition and redress of historical injustices committed during imperial rule.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog