//

Investigation Reaffirms Hunter S. Thompson’s Death as Suicide, Closing Two-Decade Debate

A fresh case review finds no evidence to overturn the 2005 ruling on the gonzo journalist’s death after concerns raised by his widow.

2 mins read
Hunter S. Thompson [File Photo]

A comprehensive reinvestigation into the 2005 death of author and journalist Hunter S. Thompson has reaffirmed the original conclusion that he died by suicide, according to findings released Friday by the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. The review, prompted by concerns raised by Thompson’s widow nearly twenty years after his death, found no new evidence to challenge the original determination made by local authorities.

The reexamination was initiated after Anita Thompson contacted Pitkin County Sheriff Michael Buglione with what were described as new concerns and potential information related to her husband’s death. In response, the sheriff requested that the CBI reopen the case in July 2025 to conduct an independent and thorough review. Investigators ultimately concluded that there were no new physical facts or circumstances that would support a finding different from the 2005 investigation.

Hunter S. Thompson, a towering figure in American counterculture journalism, was found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound at his Owl Creek farm near Aspen, Colorado, in February 2005. He was 67. The original investigation by the Pitkin County Sheriff’s Office ruled his death a suicide, a conclusion now reaffirmed by the state-level review.

Although much of the original physical evidence and photographic material from the 2005 case had been disposed of over time, investigators reviewed autopsy records and law enforcement documents, re-examined the scene, and conducted modern trajectory analysis and scene reconstruction. According to the CBI, the results of these analyses were consistent with the original findings, the autopsy report, and the observations made by investigators at the time.

As part of the renewed inquiry, investigators interviewed several individuals close to Thompson, including his widow, his son Juan Thompson, and his former daughter-in-law Jennifer Thompson. The original lead detective and the county coroner were also interviewed. The CBI said the intact bullet defect allowed for modern forensic reconstruction, which supported the original conclusion that Thompson’s death was self-inflicted.

Sheriff Buglione said the decision to seek an independent review was motivated by the importance of transparency and closure for the family. While standing by the integrity of the original investigation, he said the reaffirmation of its findings would help provide reassurance and clarity. Anita Thompson echoed that sentiment, expressing gratitude for what she described as a thorough review and saying it allowed those who loved her husband to move forward with a clean conscience.

At the time of his death, friends and family had spoken openly about Thompson’s declining health and chronic pain, including complications from a hip replacement, back surgery, and a recently broken leg. They also noted that Thompson, a longtime gun enthusiast, had discussed the idea of ending his life for years. Days before his death, he left behind a handwritten note later published by Rolling Stone magazine, in which he reflected on aging and physical limitations and concluded with the line, “Relax — this won’t hurt.”

Thompson was best known for his 1971 book Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, which grew out of articles written for Rolling Stone and became a defining work of his “gonzo” journalism style. The book was later adapted into a 1998 film starring Johnny Depp, cementing Thompson’s place in popular culture. He was also famously caricatured in the comic strip Doonesbury as Uncle Duke, complete with aviator sunglasses and a cigarette holder.

The renewed scrutiny of Thompson’s death gained attention after reports that his widow had approached authorities following rumors relayed by a relative suggesting his death may have been staged. With the CBI’s findings now public, officials say the case is considered closed, bringing renewed finality to the death of one of America’s most influential and unconventional writers.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog