The death toll from a U.S. military operation in Venezuela has risen to at least 80, according to a report by the New York Times on Sunday, marking a dramatic escalation in Washington’s confrontation with the South American nation. Citing a senior Venezuelan official, the newspaper said the number of casualties could increase further as information continues to emerge from the operation carried out on Saturday.
Venezuela’s Defence Minister Vladimir Padrino said earlier that a significant portion of President Nicolas Maduro’s security detail had been killed during the U.S. action, though he did not provide specific figures. His comments underscored the scale of the assault and the severity of losses suffered by forces loyal to the Venezuelan leader.
U.S. President Donald Trump said the operation resulted in the capture of Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, and announced that the United States would assert control over Venezuela “for the time being,” using U.S. troops if necessary. The statement signalled a sharp shift from pressure tactics to direct military involvement and raised the prospect of a prolonged U.S. presence in the country.
Maduro and Flores arrived in New York late on Saturday and are being held at the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn. U.S. authorities say the pair face federal charges related to drug trafficking and alleged cooperation with gangs designated by Washington as terrorist organisations.
Maduro has denied all accusations against him. Officials in Caracas have condemned the operation and called for the immediate release of the couple, framing the arrests as an illegal act of aggression. The developments have deepened uncertainty over Venezuela’s political future and heightened international concern over the consequences of direct U.S. intervention.

