//

Europe Sanctions Israeli Settlers as EU Divisions Shield Israel From Broader Action

The European Union has approved sanctions against violent Israeli settlers accused of attacking Palestinians in the occupied West Bank, but deep divisions among member states continue to block tougher measures against Israel over alleged human rights violations.

2 mins read
Kaja Kallas,

The European Union agreed on Monday to impose sanctions on Israeli settlers involved in violent attacks against Palestinians in the occupied West Bank, marking a rare moment of consensus within the bloc over the escalating crisis in the Palestinian territories. EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas announced that three settlers and four organizations connected to the settler movement would be added to the European blacklist, resulting in travel bans and the freezing of any assets held within Europe.

The sanctions had been stalled for months due to opposition from Hungary under former Prime Minister Viktor Orbán, one of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s closest allies in Europe. However, following the inauguration of Hungary’s new Prime Minister Peter Magyar over the weekend, Budapest withdrew its veto, allowing the measures to move forward.

Kallas described the decision as a necessary shift from diplomatic paralysis to concrete action. She said EU member states were increasingly alarmed by the deteriorating situation in the occupied West Bank, where settler violence against Palestinians has intensified dramatically in recent months. The attacks, some of them deadly, have coincided with growing concerns that Israel is advancing policies aimed at the de facto annexation of West Bank territory in violation of international law.

Israel reacted swiftly and angrily to the EU decision. Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar condemned the sanctions as “arbitrary and political,” accusing the bloc of creating what he called a “completely distorted moral equivalence” between Israeli citizens and Hamas militants. Israeli officials have consistently rejected international criticism over settlement expansion and military operations in Palestinian territories.

Despite the sanctions, the move highlighted the European Union’s continuing inability to agree on broader punitive measures against Israel. Earlier discussions had included possible sanctions against far-right Israeli ministers Bezalel Smotrich and Itamar Ben Gvir, both controversial figures known for hardline positions on Palestinians and settlement expansion. Those proposals were ultimately dropped after several EU member states opposed targeting Israeli government officials directly.

The EU also approved additional sanctions against Hamas representatives during the same meeting, reflecting the bloc’s effort to maintain a balanced diplomatic position amid mounting pressure from different member states.

Calls for stronger action against Israel continue to grow within parts of Europe. Spain, Ireland, and Slovenia have urged the suspension of the EU-Israel Association Agreement and restrictions on goods originating from Israeli settlements in the West Bank. Spanish Foreign Minister José Manuel Albares argued that the bloc could no longer afford endless discussions without decisive measures, calling for member states to formally vote on proposed actions to expose where each government stands.

Luxembourg’s Foreign Minister Xavier Bettel echoed those concerns, warning that Europe could not simply ignore developments in the occupied territories. Meanwhile, Dutch officials suggested that if EU-wide consensus remains impossible, individual countries could independently ban products originating from settlements.

Other governments remain cautious. Italy’s Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said more time was needed to examine the proposals, underlining the political fractures that continue to prevent the European Union from adopting a unified and forceful response to the conflict.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog