/

Trump Clashes With Ramaphosa Over White Farmer Genocide Claims in Tense Meeting

Despite the heated exchange, Ramaphosa appeared determined to salvage some measure of diplomacy

2 mins read
U.S. President Donald Trump, right, and South African President Cyril Ramaphosa during a tense meeting in the Oval Office on May 21, where the two leaders clashed over claims of violence against White Afrikaner farmers.

A high-stakes diplomatic meeting between U.S. President Donald Trump and South African President Cyril Ramaphosa took a contentious turn Wednesday, as Trump publicly rejected Ramaphosa’s insistence that there is no genocide against White South African farmers.

What began as a seemingly cordial exchange aimed at strengthening bilateral trade relations and resetting diplomatic ties quickly escalated into a public clash over one of South Africa’s most sensitive political issues — land reform and the treatment of the country’s White minority.

During the Oval Office meeting, Trump aired a video showing images of White South Africans being assaulted, claiming they represented widespread violence and persecution of Afrikaner farmers.

“Each one of those white things you see is a cross, and there’s approximately a thousand of them. They’re all white farmers,” Trump said, pointing to a screen showing the footage beside the two presidents. The dramatic moment appeared to fulfill fears from Ramaphosa’s inner circle that the South African leader was being lured into a diplomatic trap.

Ramaphosa, who initially struck an upbeat tone, offering Trump a hefty coffee table book on golf in South Africa and speaking about the need for renewed cooperation, was forced to defend his country’s policies under increasing pressure.

“It will take President Trump listening to the voices of South Africans, some of whom are his good friends,” Ramaphosa said, trying to steer the conversation toward broader dialogue. He insisted that those advocating for land expropriation without compensation were “a small minority” and denied claims that White South Africans were being systematically targeted.

The flashpoint in the meeting revolved around a land reform bill passed in late 2024, which allows for government expropriation of land without compensation in limited cases, such as abandoned or unused state property. Trump and his allies have likened the law to persecution, despite its similarity to eminent domain laws in the U.S.

Adding fuel to the fire, Pretoria-born tech billionaire Elon Musk — a vocal backer of Trump — was present during the meeting, as were South African golf legends Ernie Els and Retief Goosen. Musk has previously echoed claims that White farmers are victims of a slow-moving genocide in post-apartheid South Africa — a narrative widely discredited by human rights groups and South African authorities.

Ramaphosa, a seasoned lawyer and president since 2018, was accompanied by several top ministers, including Agriculture Minister Thoko Didiza — a White South African who called the genocide claims “nonsense.” Also in attendance was billionaire Johann Rupert, a prominent figure in South Africa’s business community.

The diplomatic strain follows Trump’s decision in February to freeze most U.S. aid to South Africa, citing its stance in a genocide case against Israel at the International Court of Justice and alleging hostility toward Washington. Just last week, the U.S. granted refugee status to a group of White Afrikaners, flying them in on a chartered plane and further stoking tensions.

“We’ve had a tremendous number of people — generally white farmers — fleeing South Africa,” Trump said. “It’s a very sad thing to see.”

The fallout from the meeting now threatens to cast a long shadow over South Africa’s presidency of the G20, with the U.S. reportedly shunning key forums and declining to support Ramaphosa’s agenda of addressing debt relief and climate change for developing nations.

As international concern grows over the deterioration in U.S.-South Africa relations, analysts warn the episode may have lasting diplomatic and economic consequences, especially if Pretoria’s narrative is further undermined on the global stage.

Despite the heated exchange, Ramaphosa appeared determined to salvage some measure of diplomacy, stating after the meeting, “We remain open to dialogue and will continue to work toward mutual understanding — even in the face of disagreement.”

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog