Australia’s most populous state has passed sweeping new gun control and anti-terrorism laws in response to last month’s mass shooting at Sydney’s Bondi Beach, significantly tightening firearm ownership rules, expanding police powers over protests and banning the public display of terrorist symbols.
The New South Wales parliament approved the terrorism and other legislation amendment bill early Wednesday after the upper house passed it by 18 votes to eight. The legislation had cleared the lower house a day earlier with bipartisan backing from the governing centre-left Labor Party and the opposition Liberal Party.
The rural-based National Party, a junior coalition partner of the Liberals, voted against the gun reforms, arguing that new ownership caps would unfairly disadvantage farmers who rely on firearms for pest control and land management.
The legislation was fast-tracked following the Dec. 14 attack at a Jewish Hanukkah celebration on Bondi Beach, where 15 people were killed and dozens injured. The shooting, Australia’s deadliest gun attack in nearly 30 years, sparked nationwide calls for tighter gun laws and tougher measures to combat antisemitism and extremist violence.
Under the new laws, most gun licence holders will be limited to owning no more than four firearms, while farmers will be allowed to own up to 10. Police will also gain enhanced authority to impose restrictions on public protests for up to three months after a declared terror attack.
The legislation bans the public display of symbols linked to prohibited terrorist organisations and outlaws chants such as “Globalise the intifada,” which the state government said encourages violence and social division. The slogan has frequently been heard at pro-Palestinian demonstrations.
Police say the two alleged attackers were inspired by the Islamic State militant group. Sajid Akram, 50, was shot dead by police at the scene, while his 24-year-old son, Naveed, has been charged with 59 offences, including murder and terrorism-related crimes.
Civil liberties and activist groups have strongly criticised the new measures and signalled plans for a constitutional challenge. In a joint statement, the Palestine Action Group, Jews Against the Occupation and the First Nations-led Blak Caucus described the legislation as “draconian anti-protest laws” rushed through parliament.
The groups accused the state government of exploiting the Bondi attack to suppress political dissent and restrict criticism of Israel, arguing that the new laws undermine democratic freedoms under the guise of public safety.
At the federal level, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has also pledged tougher action on hate speech. His government plans to introduce legislation making it easier to prosecute those promoting hatred or violence and to cancel or deny visas to individuals involved in hate speech.
Facing mounting criticism over a rise in antisemitic incidents, Albanese said he spoke with Israeli President Isaac Herzog on Tuesday and invited him to visit Australia officially as soon as possible, underscoring Canberra’s efforts to reassure Jewish communities while tightening laws against extremism.

