/

NASA Moon Rocket Glitch Threatens First Crewed Lunar Mission in Decades

A newly discovered helium flow problem has cast doubt on the planned March launch, raising fresh uncertainty for the long-delayed return of astronauts to the Moon.

1 min read
NASA/Unsplash

NASA said its next-generation moon rocket encountered another technical setback on Saturday, jeopardising a launch that was intended to send astronauts on humanity’s first lunar voyage in more than 50 years.

The issue emerged just one day after the agency announced a target launch date of March 6 for the Artemis II mission, a landmark flight designed to carry a four-person crew around the Moon and back. Engineers detected an interruption in the flow of helium to the rocket’s upper stage during overnight checks, a critical function required to support launch operations.

Officials stressed that the helium malfunction is unrelated to earlier hydrogen fuel leaks that disrupted a recent countdown rehearsal and forced NASA to repeat testing. Despite those earlier problems, a second fuelling test conducted on Thursday showed minimal leakage, encouraging mission managers to move forward with launch preparations. The astronaut crew had already entered a mandatory two-week quarantine to protect against illness ahead of the flight.

NASA said engineers are analysing data to determine whether the 98-metre rocket must be rolled back to the Vehicle Assembly Building for repairs or if corrective work can be completed at the launch pad at Kennedy Space Center. The agency acknowledged that the new complication will “almost assuredly” affect the March launch window.

The helium disruption is isolated to the rocket’s interim cryogenic propulsion stage, which is responsible for placing the Orion crew capsule into a high-altitude orbit after liftoff. The stage is then meant to separate and act as a rendezvous target, allowing astronauts to rehearse docking techniques considered essential for future deep-space missions.

The mission is a cornerstone of NASA’s broader effort to return humans to the lunar environment for the first time since the Apollo era, when 24 astronauts travelled to the Moon between 1968 and 1972. The current Artemis programme has so far completed only one uncrewed test flight in 2022, which also faced technical hurdles before successfully launching.

While NASA maintains that a crewed lunar landing remains several years away, the latest delay underscores the technical and scheduling challenges confronting the agency as it attempts to execute one of the most complex human spaceflight initiatives in decades.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog