A storm is brewing behind the gilded façade of Monaco’s royal palace, where accusations of betrayal, secret dossiers and a dramatic fallout between Prince Albert II and some of his closest confidants have revealed a hidden battle over power and influence. The controversy, first reported in detail by The Sunday Times UK, has drawn attention to the inner workings of one of the world’s most secretive monarchies and the growing tensions surrounding the tiny Mediterranean state’s lucrative property empire.
At the centre of the drama is Thierry Lacoste, a lawyer who has known Prince Albert since childhood. For decades, Lacoste was not just a trusted legal adviser but a loyal friend who stood beside the prince through some of the most delicate moments of his private life. The two men grew up together and often socialised during their younger years. Lacoste later became responsible for handling sensitive matters for the prince, including arrangements surrounding a former Air France flight attendant who gave birth to Albert’s son.
Today, however, the once-close relationship has collapsed. Lacoste says the royal palace has undergone what he describes as a “Stalin-like purge,” claiming that nearly forty people connected to the prince have been pushed aside over the past two years. Speaking from his Paris office, the 66-year-old lawyer said he felt deeply betrayed by a monarch he had supported for much of his life.
According to Lacoste, the changes within the palace reflect a wider transformation in Monaco’s political atmosphere. He argues that the prince has become increasingly isolated from the people who once advised him, and now relies on figures he considers untrustworthy. Yet in Monaco’s unique political system, there are few mechanisms to challenge the ruler’s decisions. The principality functions effectively as an absolute monarchy, meaning the prince retains sweeping authority over state affairs.
Another key figure in the unfolding controversy is Claude Palmero, who for more than two decades managed Prince Albert’s financial affairs. Palmero’s relationship with the royal family stretches back generations. His father had handled the finances of Prince Albert’s father, Prince Rainier III, and after Rainier’s death the younger Palmero continued in the role under the new ruler.
For years Palmero served as the prince’s property manager and financial strategist. His responsibilities extended far beyond routine accounting. He became a trusted intermediary in both financial and personal matters, including arrangements connected to Prince Albert’s private relationships. But in 2023 his career at the palace ended abruptly when he was ordered to step down.
Since then, Palmero’s life has been transformed by legal investigations and public controversy. Police raided both his home and office, seizing documents and notebooks that recorded detailed notes of meetings with the prince over many years. He says he has been questioned repeatedly by investigators and now faces charges including breach of professional secrecy and invasion of privacy.
Palmero strongly denies wrongdoing and insists the investigations are part of what he calls a judicial vendetta. Speaking from his country home overlooking Monaco, he said authorities appear determined to find grounds for prosecution after his dismissal from the palace.
The roots of the conflict stretch back to 2021, when an anonymous website called Les Dossiers du Rocher began publishing allegations of corruption and conflicts of interest involving several of the prince’s closest advisers. The website accused Lacoste, Palmero and others of manipulating Monaco’s property market and benefiting from insider influence.
Real estate lies at the heart of Monaco’s extraordinary wealth. The tiny principality, occupying a sliver of coastline on the French Riviera, covers less than twice the area of Hyde Park in London but houses more than 38,000 residents. Property prices are among the highest in the world, with even modest apartments often selling for more than two million pounds.
Initially Prince Albert reportedly supported his advisers and rejected the claims made on the anonymous website. But in 2023 his position changed dramatically. Palmero was removed from his post, and the prince distanced himself from other long-standing allies including Lacoste.
Observers say the shift may have been linked to tensions surrounding Monaco’s powerful construction industry. One of the most influential figures in that sector is businessman Patrice Pastor, whose company has played a central role in major developments within the principality. Critics of his growing dominance had included Palmero and others who favoured opening the property market to greater competition.
The dispute over development projects intensified with the construction of Mareterra, a two-billion-euro expansion built on reclaimed land that increased Monaco’s territory by about three percent. The development symbolises both the principality’s wealth and the enormous financial stakes tied to its real estate market.
As the conflict escalated, Palmero responded by publishing a memoir that lifts the curtain on life inside the palace. The book, released in French under the title Monaco Interdit and later translated into English as Monaco Unveiled, quickly attracted attention and was reprinted after strong demand. Unsurprisingly, it is not sold within Monaco itself.
The memoir describes the inner workings of the palace and includes references to the notebooks Palmero kept during years of meetings with the prince. The existence of these notes caused a major stir earlier this year when the French newspaper Le Monde published an investigative series based partly on their contents. The articles revealed details about royal spending and internal tensions within the Grimaldi household.
Palmero insists he never showed the notebooks to journalists and believes the information may have leaked while the documents were temporarily in police custody after the raid on his home. His lawyers have condemned the charges against him as an attack on press freedom and the rule of law.
For Lacoste, the entire saga represents a painful end to decades of loyalty. Although the prince recently sent him a friendly message during a health scare, reconciliation seems unlikely. The lawyer says he remains loyal to the version of Prince Albert he once knew but fears the man who now rules Monaco has changed.
Palmero shares that sentiment, suggesting the prince’s recent actions may be motivated by a desire to conceal past decisions from those closest to him. As legal battles continue and further revelations loom, the dispute threatens to expose even more secrets from the inner circle of one of Europe’s most enduring royal dynasties.

