/

Israel Considers Expanding Military Operation in Gaza to Rescue Hostages

Hamas, for its part, said it would allow Red Cross access to hostages if Israel agreed to halt airstrikes during the delivery of humanitarian aid.

1 min read
Hamas has released footage of the Israeli hostage Evyatar David

Israel is preparing a new military offensive in central Gaza to free the remaining hostages, according to a report by The Times UK. The proposed expansion, led by Israel Defence Forces (IDF) chief Eyal Zamir, would target areas previously avoided due to concerns about endangering hostages. The plan is expected to be discussed by the Israeli cabinet this week.

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu reiterated his firm stance on Sunday night, stating, “Hamas does not want a deal,” and pledging to continue efforts to both retrieve hostages and eliminate the militant group. “Gaza will no longer pose a threat to the state of Israel,” he said.

The renewed military push comes amid mounting domestic and international pressure. Over 600 retired Israeli security officials, including ex-intelligence chiefs, issued a public appeal to former U.S. President Donald Trump to help steer Israel toward ending the war. “Hamas no longer poses a strategic threat,” the letter claimed, calling for a diplomatic resolution.

Meanwhile, families of the estimated 20 surviving hostages are voicing deep concern that an expanded offensive could cost their loved ones their lives. Einav Zangauker, whose son Matan was kidnapped on October 7, warned Netanyahu was “preparing an operation to turn the living hostages into corpses.”

The situation was further inflamed by provocative actions at Jerusalem’s Temple Mount. On Sunday, far-right Israeli minister Itamar Ben-Gvir led Jewish prayers at the contested site, breaking a long-standing convention and drawing swift condemnation from Saudi Arabia, Jordan, and other Arab states. Israel Katz, Israel’s defense minister, defended the action and vowed to “strengthen Jewish sovereignty” over the site.

Ben-Gvir, who has previously advocated for the full conquest of Gaza and the rebuilding of a Jewish temple on the site of al-Aqsa Mosque, reiterated his support for “voluntary migration” of Palestinians and establishing permanent Israeli control over Gaza.

Netanyahu also met with Julien Lerisson of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) to demand urgent aid for the hostages. This followed the release of distressing footage of hostage Evyatar David, who appeared emaciated while digging in a Hamas tunnel. Netanyahu accused Hamas of committing “inhumane physical and mental abuse,” comparing their actions to Nazi atrocities.

Hamas, for its part, said it would allow Red Cross access to hostages if Israel agreed to halt airstrikes during the delivery of humanitarian aid.

Elsewhere, unrest is growing in the West Bank, where thousands protested in solidarity with Palestinian prisoners. Israel has arrested many Palestinians since the war began — some without charges — and detainees could be part of a future hostage exchange.

In Gaza, violence continues unabated. According to the Hamas-run health ministry, more than 100 Palestinians were killed in the past 24 hours, including a worker from the Palestinian Red Crescent killed in an Israeli airstrike on its Khan Yunis headquarters.

Sri Lanka Guardian

The Sri Lanka Guardian is an online web portal founded in August 2007 by a group of concerned Sri Lankan citizens including journalists, activists, academics and retired civil servants. We are independent and non-profit. Email: editor@slguardian.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog

Mecca Draws a New Line

The Mecca Accord, signed in August 2026 by Saudi Arabia, Türkiye and Pakistan, represents a striking